15 U.S. Code § 720c - Pipeline expansion
With respect to any Alaska natural gas transportation project, on a request by 1 or more persons and after giving notice and an opportunity for a hearing, the Commission may order the expansion of the Alaska natural gas project if the Commission determines that such an expansion is required by the present and future public convenience and necessity.
(b) Responsibilities of Commission
Before ordering an expansion under subsection (a), the Commission shall—
(1) approve or establish rates for the expansion service that are designed to ensure the recovery, on an incremental or rolled-in basis, of the cost associated with the expansion (including a reasonable rate of return on investment);
(2) ensure that the rates do not require existing shippers on the Alaska natural gas transportation project to subsidize expansion shippers;
(3) find that a proposed shipper will comply with, and the proposed expansion and the expansion of service will be undertaken and implemented based on, terms and conditions consistent with the tariff of the Alaska natural gas transportation project in effect as of the date of the expansion;
(4) find that the proposed facilities will not adversely affect the financial or economic viability of the Alaska natural gas transportation project;
(5) find that the proposed facilities will not adversely affect the overall operations of the Alaska natural gas transportation project;
(6) find that the proposed facilities will not diminish the contract rights of existing shippers to previously subscribed certificated capacity;
(c) Requirement for a firm transportation agreement
Any order of the Commission issued in accordance with this section shall be void unless the person requesting the order executes a firm transportation agreement with the Alaska natural gas transportation project within such reasonable period of time as the order may specify.
Nothing in this section expands or otherwise affects any authority of the Commission with respect to any natural gas pipeline located outside the State.