15 U.S. Code § 790a - National Energy Information System; information required to be maintained
(a) It shall be the duty of the Director to establish a National Energy Information System (hereinafter referred to in this chapter as the “System”), which shall be operated and maintained by the Office. The System shall contain such information as is required to provide a description of and facilitate analysis of energy supply and consumption within and affecting the United States on the basis of such geographic areas and economic sectors as may be appropriate to meet adequately the needs of—
(3) other officers and employees of the United States in whom have been vested, or to whom have been delegated energy-related policy decisionmaking responsibilities; and
(b) At a minimum, the System shall contain such energy information as is necessary to carry out the Administration’s statistical and forecasting activities, and shall include, at the earliest date and to the maximum extent practical subject to the resources available and the Director’s ordering of those resources to meet the responsibilities of his Office, such energy information as is required to define and permit analysis of—
(1) the institutional structure of the energy supply system including patterns of ownership and control of mineral fuel and nonmineral energy resources and the production, distribution, and marketing of mineral fuels and electricity;
(2) the consumption of mineral fuels, nonmineral energy resources, and electricity by such classes, sectors, and regions as may be appropriate for the purposes of this chapter;
(3) the sensitivity of energy resource reserves, exploration, development, production, transportation, and consumption to economic factors, environmental constraints, technological improvements, and substitutability of alternate energy sources;
(5) industrial, labor, and regional impacts of changes in patterns of energy supply and consumption;
Source(Pub. L. 93–275, § 52, as added Pub. L. 94–385, title I, § 142,Aug. 14, 1976, 90 Stat. 1135; amended Pub. L. 95–91, title VII, § 709(a)(3),Aug. 4, 1977, 91 Stat. 608.)
References in Text
The Natural Gas Act, referred to in subsec. (a)(4), is act June 21, 1938, ch. 556, 52 Stat. 821, as amended, which is classified generally to chapter 15B (§ 717 et seq.) of this title. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see section 717w of this title and Tables.
The Federal Power Act, referred to in subsec. (a)(4), is act June 10, 1920, ch. 285, 41 Stat. 1063, as amended, which is classified generally to chapter 12 (§ 791a et seq.) of Title 16, Conservation. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see section 791a of Title 16 and Tables.
1977—Subsec. (a)(4). Pub. L. 95–91added par. (4).
Section effective 150 days after Aug. 14, 1976, see section 143 ofPub. L. 94–385, set out as a note under section 790 of this title.
Transfer of Functions
Functions assigned to Director of Office of Energy Information and Analysis under this subchapter vested in Administrator of Energy Information Administration within Department of Energy by section 7135 (c) of Title 42, The Public Health and Welfare.