16 U.S. Code § 1402 - Duties of Commission
(a) Reports and recommendations
The Commission shall—
(1) undertake a review and study of the activities of the United States pursuant to existing laws and international conventions relating to marine mammals, including, but not limited to, the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling, the Whaling Convention Act of 1949 [16 U.S.C. 916 et seq.], the Interim Convention on the Conservation of North Pacific Fur Seals, and the Fur Seal Act of 1966 [16 U.S.C. 1151 et seq.];
(2) conduct a continuing review of the condition of the stocks of marine mammals, of methods for their protection and conservation, of humane means of taking marine mammals, of research programs conducted or proposed to be conducted under the authority of this chapter, and of all applications for permits for scientific research, public display, or enhancing the survival or recovery of a species or stock;
(3) undertake or cause to be undertaken such other studies as it deems necessary or desirable in connection with its assigned duties as to the protection and conservation of marine mammals;
(4) recommend to the Secretary and to other Federal officials such steps as it deems necessary or desirable for the protection and conservation of marine mammals;
(5) recommend to the Secretary of State appropriate policies regarding existing international arrangements for the protection and conservation of marine mammals, and suggest appropriate international arrangements for the protection and conservation of marine mammals;
(6) recommend to the Secretary such revisions of the endangered species list and threatened species list published pursuant to section 1533 (c)(1) of this title, as may be appropriate with regard to marine mammals; and
(7) recommend to the Secretary, other appropriate Federal officials, and Congress such additional measures as it deems necessary or desirable to further the policies of this chapter, including provisions for the protection of the Indians, Eskimos, and Aleuts whose livelihood may be adversely affected by actions taken pursuant to this chapter.
(b) Consultation with Secretary; reports to Secretary before publication
(c) Availability of reports for public inspection
The reports and recommendations which the Commission makes shall be matters of public record and shall be available to the public at all reasonable times. All other activities of the Commission shall be matters of public record and available to the public in accordance with the provisions of section 552 of title 5.
(d) Recommendations; explanation for nonadoption
Any recommendations made by the Commission to the Secretary and other Federal officials shall be responded to by those individuals within one hundred and twenty days after receipt thereof. Any recommendations which are not followed or adopted shall be referred to the Commission together with a detailed explanation of the reasons why those recommendations were not followed or adopted.
 See References in Text note below.
Source(Pub. L. 92–522, title II, § 202,Oct. 21, 1972, 86 Stat. 1044; Pub. L. 93–205, § 13(e)(4),Dec. 28, 1973, 87 Stat. 903; Pub. L. 97–58, § 6(1),Oct. 9, 1981, 95 Stat. 987; Pub. L. 100–711, § 5(e)(4),Nov. 23, 1988, 102 Stat. 4771.)
References in Text
The Whaling Convention Act of 1949, referred to in subsec. (a)(1), is act Aug. 9, 1950, ch. 653, 64 Stat. 421, as amended, which is classified generally to subchapter II (§ 916 et seq.) of chapter 14 of this title. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 916 of this title and Tables.
The Fur Seal Act of 1966, referred to in subsec. (a)(1), is Pub. L. 89–702, Nov. 2, 1966, 80 Stat. 1091, as amended, which is classified generally to chapter 24 (§ 1151 et seq.) of this title. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 1151 of this title and Tables.
Section 1404 of this title, referred to in subsec. (b), was omitted from the Code.
1988—Subsec. (a)(2). Pub. L. 100–711inserted “, public display, or enhancing the survival or recovery of a species or stock” after “scientific research”.
1981—Subsec. (b). Pub. L. 97–58substituted “provide each annual report required under section 1404 of this title, before submission to Congress, to the Secretary for comment” for “furnish its reports and recommendations to him, before publication, for his comment”.
1973—Subsec. (a)(6). Pub. L. 93–205substituted “such revisions of the endangered species list and threatened species list published pursuant to section 1533 (c)(1) of this title” for “of the Interior such revisions of the Endangered Species List, authorized by the Endangered Species Conservation Act of 1969,”.
Effective Date of 1973 Amendment
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.