16 U.S. Code § 1447a - Definitions
As used in this chapter, the term—
(1) “Board” means any Regional Marine Research board  established pursuant to section 1447b (a) of this title;
(2) “Federal agency” means any department, agency, or other instrumentality of the Federal Government, including any independent agency or establishment of the Federal Government and any government corporation;
(3) “local government” means any city, town, borough, county, parish, district, or other public body which is a political subdivision of a State and which is created pursuant to State law;
(4) “marine and coastal waters” means estuaries, waters of the estuarine zone, including wetlands, any other waters seaward of the historic height of tidal influence, the territorial seas, the contiguous zone, and the ocean;
(5) “nonprofit organization” means any organization, association, or institution described in section 501 (c)(3) of title 26 which is exempt from taxation pursuant to section 501 (a) of title 26;
(7) “State” means a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
 So in original. Probably should be capitalized.
Source(Pub. L. 92–532, title IV, § 402, as added Pub. L. 101–593, title III, § 301,Nov. 16, 1990, 104 Stat. 2963.)
Territorial Sea and Contiguous Zone of United States