16 U.S. Code § 2907 - Allocation of funds for administration and reimbursement of States
(a) In general
The total amount appropriated pursuant to section 2910 of this title for any fiscal year shall be available for administration and for allocation among the States as provided in this section.
(b) Allocation formula
Of the total amount appropriated for any fiscal year pursuant to section 2910 of this title—
(1) the Secretary shall deduct so much, but not to exceed 8 percent thereof, as may be necessary for administering during such fiscal year the provisions of this chapter relating to the purposes for which so appropriated;
(2) less the deduction under paragraph (1), the Secretary shall allocate—
(A) for the District of Columbia and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico each a sum equal to not more than one-half of 1 percent of such amount; and
(3) less the deduction under paragraph (1) and the sums allocated under paragraph (2), the Secretary shall allocate for each of the States (other than those provided for in paragraph (2)) a sum—
(A) one-third of which is based on the ratio to which the area of such State bears to the total area of all such States, and
(B) two-thirds of which is based on the ratio to which the population of such State bears to the total population of all such States,
except all sums allocated under this paragraph shall be adjusted equitably so that no State shall be allocated a sum which is less than one-half of 1 percent of the amount available for allocation under this paragraph for any fiscal year or more than 5 percent of such amount.
(c) Treatment of amounts allocated but not used for any fiscal year
(1) That portion of any amount deducted by the Secretary under subsection (b)(1) of this section for administrative purposes for any fiscal year and not expended during such fiscal year shall remain available for administrative purposes until the close of the next succeeding fiscal year and if not obligated or expended by the close of such succeeding fiscal year shall be available for disbursement by the Secretary without regard to subsection (b) of this section, to the States to carry out the purposes of this chapter.
(2) That portion of any amount allocated to any State under subsection (b)(2) or (3) of this section for any fiscal year and not disbursed to the State for such fiscal years under section 2905 of this title shall remain available for disbursement to the State under such section for the next succeeding fiscal year and if not disbursed for such succeeding fiscal year shall be available for disbursement by the Secretary, without regard to subsection (b) of this section, to the States to carry out the purposes of this chapter.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.