16 U.S. Code § -
(a) In general
The Secretary of the Interior (in sections 469l to 469l–3 of this title referred to as the “Secretary”) shall establish in the National Park Service a program to be known as the “National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom” (in sections 469l to 469l–3 of this title referred to as the “national network”). Under the program, the Secretary shall—
(1) produce and disseminate appropriate educational materials, such as handbooks, maps, interpretive guides, or electronic information;
(2) enter into appropriate cooperative agreements and memoranda of understanding to provide technical assistance under subsection (c) of this section; and
The national network shall encompass the following elements:
(1) All units and programs of the National Park Service determined by the Secretary to pertain to the Underground Railroad.
(2) Other Federal, State, local, and privately owned properties pertaining to the Underground Railroad that have a verifiable connection to the Underground Railroad and that are included on, or determined by the Secretary to be eligible for inclusion on, the National Register of Historic Places.
(c) Cooperative agreements and memoranda of understanding
To achieve the purposes of sections 469l to 469l–3 of this title and to ensure effective coordination of the Federal and non-Federal elements of the national network referred to in subsection (b) of this section with National Park Service units and programs, the Secretary may enter into cooperative agreements and memoranda of understanding with, and provide technical assistance to—
(1) the heads of other Federal agencies, States, localities, regional governmental bodies, and private entities; and
Source(Pub. L. 105–203, § 3,July 21, 1998, 112 Stat. 679; Pub. L. 110–229, title III, § 361(a)(1),May 8, 2008, 122 Stat. 801.)
2008—Subsec. (d). Pub. L. 110–229struck out subsec. (d) which authorized appropriations for sections 469l to 469l–2 of this title.
Effective Date of 2008 Amendment
Pub. L. 110–229, title III, § 361(b),May 8, 2008, 122 Stat. 802, provided that: “The amendments made by subsection (a) [enacting section 469l–3 of this title and amending this section and section 469l–2 of this title] shall take effect at the beginning of the fiscal year immediately following the date of the enactment of this Act [May 8, 2008].”
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.