20 U.S. Code § 4303 - Board of Trustees
(a) Composition of Board
(1) Gallaudet University shall be under the direction and control of a Board of Trustees, composed of twenty-one members who shall include—
(A) three public members of whom
(2) The members appointed from the Senate and House of Representatives shall be appointed for a term of two years at the beginning of each Congress, shall be eligible for reappointment, and shall serve until their successors are appointed.
(3) The Board of Trustees shall have the power to fill any vacancy in the membership of the Board except for public members. Nine trustees shall constitute a quorum to transact business. The Board of Trustees, by vote of a majority of its membership, is authorized to remove any member of their body (except the public members) who may refuse or neglect to discharge the duties of a trustee, or whose removal would, in the judgment of said majority, be to the interest and welfare of said corporation.
(b) Powers of Board
The Board of Trustees is authorized to—
(1) make such rules, policies, regulations, and bylaws, not inconsistent with the Constitution and laws of the United States, as may be necessary for the good government of Gallaudet University, for the management of the property and funds of such corporation (including the construction of buildings and other facilities), and for the admission, instruction, care, and discharge of students;
(4) appoint a president and establish policies, guidelines, and procedures related to the appointments, the salaries, and the dismissals of professors, instructors, and other employees of Gallaudet University, including the adoption of a policy of outreach and recruitment to employ and advance in employment qualified individuals with disabilities, particularly individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing;
(5) elect a chairperson and other officers and prescribe their duties and terms of office, and appoint an executive committee to consist of five members, and vest the committee with such of its powers during periods between meetings of the Board as the Board deems necessary;
(6) establish such schools, departments, and other units as the Board of Trustees deems necessary to carry out the purpose of Gallaudet University;
(7) confer such degrees and marks of honor as are conferred by colleges and universities generally, and issue such diplomas and certificates of graduation as, in its opinion, may be deemed advisable, and consistent with academic standards;
(8) subject to section 4353 of this title, control expenditures of all moneys appropriated by Congress for the benefit of Gallaudet University; and
Source(Pub. L. 99–371, title I, § 103,Aug. 4, 1986, 100 Stat. 782; Pub. L. 102–421, title I, §§ 101(c), 111,Oct. 16, 1992, 106 Stat. 2152; Pub. L. 103–73, title II, § 203(c),Aug. 11, 1993, 107 Stat. 733.)
Provisions similar to this section were contained in sections 691d and 691e of this title prior to repeal by Pub. L. 99–371.
1993—Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 103–73, § 203(c)(1), in par. (1) substituted “members who shall include—” for “members selected as follows:” in introductory provisions and inserted comma after “Association” in subpar. (B), redesignated second sentence of par. (1) as par. (2), and redesignated former par. (2) as (3).
Subsec. (b). Pub. L. 103–73, § 203(c)(2), inserted comma after “facilities)” in par. (1), substituted “or hard of hearing;” for “or individuals who are hard of hearing.” in par. (4), and struck out “the provisions of” before “section 4353” in par. (8).
1992—Subsec. (a)(1)(B). Pub. L. 102–421, § 111(1), struck out “, who on August 4, 1986, shall include those individuals serving as nonpublic members of the Board of Trustees of Gallaudet College immediately prior to August 4, 1986,” after “elected by the Board of Trustees”.
Subsec. (b)(1). Pub. L. 102–421, § 111(2)(A), inserted “(including the construction of buildings and other facilities)” after “corporation”.
Subsec. (b)(4), (6). Pub. L. 102–421, § 111(2)(B), (C), amended pars. (4) and (6) generally. Prior to amendment, pars. (4) and (6) read as follows:
“(4) appoint a president, professors, instructors, and other necessary employees for Gallaudet University, delegate to them such duties as it may deem advisable, fix their compensation, and remove them when, in their judgment, the interest of Gallaudet University shall require it;
“(6) establish such departments and other units, including a department of higher learning for the deaf, a department of elementary education for the instruction of deaf children, a graduate department, and a research department, as the Board deems necessary to carry out the purpose of Gallaudet University;”.
Subsec. (b)(8). Pub. L. 102–421, § 101(c), made technical amendment to reference to section 4353 of this title to reflect change in reference to corresponding section of original act.
Effective Date of 1992 Amendment