20 U.S. Code § 6365 - External evaluation
(a) In general
The evaluation under subsection (a) of this section shall be conducted by an organization that is capable of designing and carrying out an independent evaluation that identifies the effects of specific activities carried out by State educational agencies and local educational agencies under this subpart on improving reading instruction. Such evaluation shall take into account factors influencing student performance that are not controlled by teachers or education administrators.
The evaluation under subsection (a) of this section shall include the following:
(1) An analysis of the relationship between each of the essential components of reading instruction and overall reading proficiency.
(2) An analysis of whether assessment tools used by State educational agencies and local educational agencies measure the essential components of reading.
(3) An analysis of how State reading standards correlate with the essential components of reading instruction.
(4) An analysis of whether the receipt of a targeted assistance grant under section 6364 of this title results in an increase in the number of children who read proficiently.
(5) A measurement of the extent to which specific instructional materials improve reading proficiency.
(6) A measurement of the extent to which specific screening, diagnostic, and classroom-based instructional reading assessments assist teachers in identifying specific reading deficiencies.
(7) A measurement of the extent to which professional development programs implemented by State educational agencies using funds received under this subpart improve reading instruction.
(8) A measurement of how well students preparing to enter the teaching profession are prepared to teach the essential components of reading instruction.
(9) An analysis of changes in students’ interest in reading and time spent reading outside of school.
Source(Pub. L. 89–10, title I, § 1205, as added Pub. L. 107–110, title I, § 101,Jan. 8, 2002, 115 Stat. 1548.)
A prior section 6365,Pub. L. 89–10, title I, § 1205, as added Pub. L. 103–382, title I, § 101,Oct. 20, 1994, 108 Stat. 3580; amended Pub. L. 104–134, title I, § 101(b) [title II, § 2755(b)], Apr. 26, 1996, 110 Stat. 1321–77, 1321–151; renumbered title I, Pub. L. 104–140, § 1(a),May 2, 1996, 110 Stat. 1327; Pub. L. 105–220, title II, § 251(b)(2)(B),Aug. 7, 1998, 112 Stat. 1079; Pub. L. 105–277, div. A, § 101(f) [title VIII, § 405(d)(18)(A), (f)(13)(A)], Oct. 21, 1998, 112 Stat. 2681–337, 2681–422, 2681–431; Pub. L. 106–554, § 1(a)(4) [div. B, title XVI, § 1604(i)], Dec. 21, 2000, 114 Stat. 2763, 2763A–331, related to Even Start program elements, prior to the general amendment of this subchapter by Pub. L. 107–110. See section 6381d of this title.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.