20 U.S. Code § 6965 - State applications
No State educational agency shall receive any payment under this subpart for any fiscal year unless such agency submits an application to the Secretary at such time, in such manner, and containing or accompanied by such information, as the Secretary may reasonably require. Each such application shall—
(1) provide that the educational programs, services, and activities for which payments under this subpart are made will be administered by or under the supervision of the agency;
(2) provide assurances that payments under this subpart will be used for purposes set forth in sections 6961 and 6967 of this title, including a description of how local educational agencies receiving funds under this subpart will use such funds to meet such purposes and will coordinate with entities carrying out other programs and activities assisted under this chapter, and other Acts as appropriate;
(3) provide an assurance that local educational agencies receiving funds under this subpart will coordinate the use of such funds with entities carrying out programs and activities assisted under part A of subchapter I of this chapter;
(4) provide assurances that such payments, with the exception of payments reserved under section 6964 (e) of this title, will be distributed among local educational agencies within that State on the basis of the number of immigrant children and youth counted with respect to each such local educational agency under section 6964 (b)(1) of this title;
(5) provide assurances that the State educational agency will not finally disapprove in whole or in part any application for funds received under this subpart without first affording the local educational agency submitting an application for such funds reasonable notice and opportunity for a hearing;
(6) provide for making such reports as the Secretary may reasonably require to perform the Secretary’s functions under this subpart;
(7) provide assurances—
(A) that to the extent consistent with the number of immigrant children and youth enrolled in the nonpublic elementary schools or secondary schools within the district served by a local educational agency, such agency, after consultation with appropriate officials of such schools, shall provide for the benefit of such children and youth secular, neutral, and nonideological services, materials, and equipment necessary for the education of such children and youth;
(B) that the control of funds provided under this subpart for any materials or equipment, or property repaired, remodeled, or constructed with those funds shall be in a public agency for the uses and purpose provided in this subpart, and a public agency shall administer such funds and property; and
(C) that the provision of services pursuant to this paragraph shall be provided by employees of a public agency or through contract by such public agency with a person, association, agency, or corporation who or which, in the provision of such services, is independent of such nonpublic elementary school or secondary school and of any religious organization, and such employment or contract shall be under the control and supervision of such public agency, and the funds provided under this paragraph shall not be commingled with State or local funds;
(8) provide that funds reserved under section 6964 (e) of this title be awarded on a competitive basis based on merit and need in accordance with such section; and
(b) Application review
(1) In general
The Secretary shall review all applications submitted pursuant to this section by State educational agencies.
The Secretary shall approve any application submitted by a State educational agency that meets the requirements of this section.
The Secretary shall disapprove any application submitted by a State educational agency that does not meet the requirements of this section, but shall not finally disapprove an application except after providing reasonable notice, technical assistance, and an opportunity for a hearing to the State educational agency.