20 U.S. Code § 9171 - Purpose
prev | next
It is the purpose of this subchapter—
(1) to encourage and support museums in carrying out their public service role of connecting the whole of society to the cultural, artistic, historical, natural, and scientific understandings that constitute our heritage;
(2) to encourage and support museums in carrying out their educational role, as core providers of learning and in conjunction with schools, families, and communities;
(3) to encourage leadership, innovation, and applications of the most current technologies and practices to enhance museum services through international, national, regional, State, and local networks and partnerships;
(4) to assist, encourage, and support museums in carrying out their stewardship responsibilities to achieve the highest standards in conservation and care of the cultural, historic, natural, and scientific heritage of the United States to benefit future generations;
(5) to assist, encourage, and support museums in achieving the highest standards of management and service to the public, and to ease the financial burden borne by museums as a result of their increasing use by the public;
(6) to support resource sharing and partnerships among museums, libraries, schools, and other community organizations;
(7) to encourage and support museums as a part of economic development and revitalization in communities;
(8) to ensure museums of various types and sizes in diverse geographic regions of the United States are afforded attention and support; and
Source(Pub. L. 94–462, title II, § 272, formerly § 271, as added Pub. L. 104–208, div. A, title I, § 101(e) [title VII, § 702], Sept. 30, 1996, 110 Stat. 3009–233, 3009–302; renumbered § 272 and amended Pub. L. 108–81, title III, §§ 301, 306 (1),Sept. 25, 2003, 117 Stat. 1000, 1002; Pub. L. 111–340, title III, § 301,Dec. 22, 2010, 124 Stat. 3603.)
A prior section 272 ofPub. L. 94–462was renumbered section 273 and is classified to section 9172 of this title.
2010—Par. (3). Pub. L. 111–340, § 301(1), inserted “through international, national, regional, State, and local networks and partnerships” after “services”.
Pars. (7) to (9). Pub. L. 111–340, § 301(2)–(4), added pars. (7) to (9).
2003—Pub. L. 108–81, § 301, amended section catchline and text generally. Prior to amendment, text read as follows: “It is the purpose of this subchapter—
“(1) to encourage and assist museums in their educational role, in conjunction with formal systems of elementary, secondary, and postsecondary education and with programs of nonformal education for all age groups;
“(2) to assist museums in modernizing their methods and facilities so that the museums are better able to conserve the cultural, historic, and scientific heritage of the United States; and
“(3) to ease the financial burden borne by museums as a result of their increasing use by the public.”