22 U.S. Code § 4304a - Enforcement of compliance with liability insurance requirements
prev | next
(a) Notice to Secretary by head of foreign mission of lapse or termination of coverage; report to Secretary by head of foreign mission respecting motor vehicles, vessels and aircraft registered in United States
(1) The head of a foreign mission shall notify promptly the Secretary of the lapse or termination of any liability insurance coverage held by a member of the mission, by a member of the family of such member, or by an individual described in section 19 of the Convention on Privileges and Immunities of the United Nations of February 13, 1946.
(2) Not later than February 1 of each year, the head of each foreign mission shall prepare and transmit to the Secretary a report including a list of motor vehicles, vessels, and aircraft registered in the United States by members of the mission, members of the families of such members, individuals described in section 19 of the Convention on Privileges and Immunities of the United Nations of February 13, 1946, and by the mission itself. Such list shall set forth for each such motor vehicle, vessel, or aircraft—
(b) Surcharge or fee covering unsatisfied part of judgment; preconditions for imposition
Whenever the Secretary finds that a member of a foreign mission, a member of the family of such member, or an individual described in section 19 of the Convention on Privileges and Immunities of the United Nations of February 13, 1946—
(1) is at fault for personal injury, death, or property damage arising out of the operation of a motor vehicle, vessel, or aircraft in the United States,
the Secretary shall impose a surcharge or fee on the foreign mission of which such member or individual is a part, amounting to the unsatisfied portion of the judgment rendered against such member or individual or, if there is no court-rendered judgment, an estimated amount of damages incurred by the victim. The payment of any such surcharge or fee shall be available only for compensation of the victim or his estate.
For purposes of this section—
(1) the term “head of a foreign mission” has the same meaning as is ascribed to the term “head of a mission” in Article 1 of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations of April 18, 1961 (T.I.A.S. numbered 7502; 23 U.S.T. 3227); and
(2) the terms “members of a mission” and “family” have the same meanings as is ascribed to them by paragraphs (1) and (2) of section 254a of this title.
Source(Aug. 1, 1956, ch. 841, title II, § 204A, as added Pub. L. 98–164, title VI, § 603,Nov. 22, 1983, 97 Stat. 1042; amended Pub. L. 103–236, title I, § 162(o)(4),Apr. 30, 1994, 108 Stat. 410.)
1994—Subsecs. (a), (b). Pub. L. 103–236substituted “Secretary” for “Director” wherever appearing.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.