22 U.S. Code § 5961a - Requirement for on-site managers
prev | next
(a) On-site manager requirement
Before obligating any defense nuclear nonproliferation funds for a project described in subsection (b) of this section, the Secretary of Energy shall appoint one on-site manager for that project. The manager shall be appointed from among employees of the Federal Government.
(b) Projects covered
Subsection (a) of this section applies to a project—
(2) which involves dismantlement, destruction, or storage facilities, or construction of a facility; and
(c) Duties of on-site manager
The on-site manager appointed under subsection (a) of this section shall—
(1) develop, in cooperation with representatives from governments of countries participating in the project, a list of those steps or activities critical to achieving the project’s disarmament or nonproliferation goals;
(3) meet with all participants to seek assurances that those steps or activities are being completed on schedule; and
(d) Authority to manage more than one project
(1) Subject to paragraph (2), an employee of the Federal Government may serve as on-site manager for more than one project, including projects at different locations.
(e) Steps or activities
Steps or activities referred to in subsection (c)(1) of this section are those activities that, if not completed, will prevent a project from achieving its disarmament or nonproliferation goals, including, at a minimum, the following:
(2) Verification that the items, substances, or capabilities to be dismantled, secured, or otherwise modified are available for dismantlement, securing, or modification.
(f) Notification to Congress
In any case in which the Secretary of Energy directs an on-site manager to resume United States participation in a project under subsection (c)(4) of this section, the Secretary shall concurrently notify Congress of such direction.
(g) Permit defined
In this section, the term “permit” means any local or national permit for development, general construction, environmental, land use, or other purposes that is required in the state of the former Soviet Union in which the project is being or is proposed to be carried out.