22 U.S. Code § 8303 - Office of Volunteers for Prosperity
prev | next
The VfP Office shall pursue the objectives of the VfP Program described in subsection (b) by—
(1) implementing the VfPServe Program to provide eligible skilled professionals with matching grants to offset the travel and living expenses of volunteering abroad with nonprofit organizations;
(2) otherwise promoting short- and long-term international volunteer service by skilled American professionals, including connecting such professionals with nonprofit organizations, to achieve such objectives;
(3) helping nonprofit organizations in the United States recruit and effectively manage additional skilled American professionals for volunteer assignments throughout the developing world;
(5) helping nonprofit organizations and corporations in the United States to identify resources and opportunities in international volunteer service utilizing skilled Americans;
(6) encouraging the establishment of international volunteer programs for employees of United States corporations; and
(b) VfP Program objectives
The objectives of the VfP Program should include—
(7) providing educational and work skill support for girls and empowering women to achieve independence;
(c) Volunteers for Prosperity Service Incentive Program
(1) In general
The VfP Office may provide matching grants to offset the travel and living costs of volunteering abroad to any eligible organization that—
(A) has members who possess skills relevant to addressing any objective described in subsection (b); and
(2) Nondiscrimination requirement
The VfP Office may not provide a stipend to an individual under paragraph (1) unless the nonprofit organization to which the individual is assigned has certified to the VfP Office that it does not discriminate with respect to any project or activity receiving Federal financial assistance, including a stipend under this chapter, because of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, political affiliation, or beliefs.
(3) Compliance with ineligible service categories
Service carried out by a volunteer receiving funds under this section may not provide a direct benefit to any—
(1) In general
The Administrator of the United States Agency for International Development shall make available the amounts appropriated pursuant to section 8304 of this title to the VfP Office to pursue the objectives described in subsection (b) by carrying out the functions described in subsection (a).
The VfP Office shall coordinate its efforts with other public and private efforts that aim to send skilled professionals to serve in developing nations.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.