22 U.S. Code § 8795 - Termination
prev | next
(a) In general
The provisions of this subchapter and any sanctions imposed pursuant to this subchapter shall terminate on the date on which the President submits to the appropriate congressional committees—
(b) Certification described
A certification described in this subsection is a certification by the President that the Government of Syria—
(2) has ceased its practices of violence, unlawful detention, torture, and abuse of citizens of Syria engaged in peaceful political activity;
(3) has ceased its practice of procuring sensitive technology designed to restrict the free flow of unbiased information in Syria, or to disrupt, monitor, or otherwise restrict the right of citizens of Syria to freedom of expression;
(4) has ceased providing support for foreign terrorist organizations and no longer allows such organizations, including Hamas, Hezbollah, and Palestinian Islamic Jihad, to maintain facilities in territory under the control of the Government of Syria; and
(5) has ceased the development and deployment of medium- and long-range surface-to-surface ballistic missiles;
(6) is not pursuing or engaged in the research, development, acquisition, production, transfer, or deployment of biological, chemical, or nuclear weapons, and has provided credible assurances that it will not engage in such activities in the future; and
(c) Suspension of sanctions after election of democratic government
If the President submits to the appropriate congressional committees the certification described in subsection (a)(2), the President may suspend the provisions of this subchapter and any sanctions imposed under this subchapter for not more than 180 days to allow time for a certification described in subsection (b) to be submitted.
Source(Pub. L. 112–158, title VII, § 706,Aug. 10, 2012, 126 Stat. 1268.)
References in Text
This subchapter, referred to in subsecs. (a) and (c), was in the original a reference to title VII of Pub. L. 112–158, which enacted this subchapter and provisions set out as a note under section 8701 of this title.