24 U.S. Code § 415 - Chief Operating Officer
prev | next
To qualify for appointment as the Chief Operating Officer, a person shall—
(1) The Chief Operating Officer shall be responsible to the Secretary of Defense for the overall direction, operation, and management of the Retirement Home and shall report to the Secretary on those matters.
(2) The Chief Operating Officer shall supervise the operation and administration of the Armed Forces Retirement Home—Washington and the Armed Forces Retirement Home—Gulfport.
(3) The Chief Operating Officer shall perform the following duties:
(1) The Secretary of Defense may prescribe the pay of the Chief Operating Officer, except that the annual rate of basic pay, including locality pay, of the Chief Operating Officer may not exceed the annual rate of basic pay payable for level III of the Executive Schedule under section 5314 of title 5.
(2) In addition to basic pay and any locality pay prescribed for the Chief Operating Officer, the Secretary may award the Chief Operating Officer, not more than once each year, a bonus based on the performance of the Chief Operating Officer for the year. The Secretary shall prescribe the amount of any such bonus.
(e) Administrative staff
(1) The Chief Operating Officer may, subject to the approval of the Secretary of Defense, appoint a staff to assist in the performance of the Chief Operating Officer’s duties in the overall administration of the Retirement Home.
(2) The Chief Operating Officer shall prescribe the rates of pay applicable to the members of the staff appointed under paragraph (1), except that—
(A) a staff member who is a member of the Armed Forces on active duty or who is a full-time officer or employee of the United States may not receive additional pay by reason of service on the administrative staff; and
(f) Acceptance of gifts
(1) The Chief Operating Officer may accept gifts of money, property, and facilities on behalf of the Retirement Home.
Source(Pub. L. 101–510, div. A, title XV, § 1515,Nov. 5, 1990, 104 Stat. 1726; Pub. L. 102–190, div. A, title X, § 1062(a)(4),Dec. 5, 1991, 105 Stat. 1475; Pub. L. 103–160, div. A, title III, § 366(b),Nov. 30, 1993, 107 Stat. 1630; Pub. L. 104–201, div. A, title X, § 1051(a), (b)(1),Sept. 23, 1996, 110 Stat. 2648; Pub. L. 107–107, div. A, title XIV, § 1404(a),Dec. 28, 2001, 115 Stat. 1259; Pub. L. 112–81, div. A, title V, § 563(b)(2),Dec. 31, 2011, 125 Stat. 1423.)
2011—Subsec. (c)(2). Pub. L. 112–81struck out “, including the Local Boards of those facilities” before period at end.
2001—Pub. L. 107–107amended section catchline and text generally, substituting provisions relating to the Chief Operating Officer of the Retirement Home for provisions relating to the composition and operation of Retirement Home Board.
1996—Subsec. (e)(3). Pub. L. 104–201, § 1051(a), added par. (3).
Subsec. (f). Pub. L. 104–201, § 1051(b)(1), amended heading and text of subsec. (f) generally. Prior to amendment, text read as follows: “Not later than the effective date specified in section 1541(a), members of the Retirement Home Board and the members of each Local Board shall be first appointed to staggered terms.”
1993—Subsec. (d)(1). Pub. L. 103–160amended par. (1) generally. Prior to amendment, par. (1) read as follows: “The Secretary of Defense shall select one of the members of the Retirement Home Board to serve as chairman. The term of office of the chairman of the Retirement Home Board shall be five years.”
1991—Subsecs. (a), (c). Pub. L. 102–190, § 1062(a)(4)(A), substituted “Local Boards” for “local boards”.
Subsec. (d)(2). Pub. L. 102–190, § 1062(a)(4)(B), substituted “that Board” for “that board”.
Section effective one year after Nov. 5, 1990, except that provisions of this section relating to appointment and designation of members of Retirement Home Board and Local Boards effective Oct. 1, 1991, see section 1541(a), (c) ofPub. L. 101–510, formerly set out as a note under section 401 of this title.
Pub. L. 104–201, div. A, title X, § 1051(b)(2),Sept. 23, 1996, 110 Stat. 2649, provided that: “The amendment made by this subsection [amending this section] shall not affect the staggered terms of members of the Armed Forces Retirement Home Board or a Local Board of the Retirement Home under section 1515(f) of such Act [subsec. (f) of this section], as such section is in effect before the date of the enactment of this Act [Sept. 23, 1996].”