25 U.S. Code § 1300i–4 - Hoopa-Yurok Settlement Roll
prev | next
(a) Preparation; eligibility criteria
(1) The Secretary shall prepare a roll of all persons who can meet the criteria for eligibility as an Indian of the Reservation and—
(2) The Secretary’s determination of eligibility under this subsection shall be final except that any Short plaintiff determined by the United States Court of Federal Claims to be an Indian of the Reservation shall be included on the Settlement Roll if they meet the other requirements of this subsection and any Short plaintiff determined by the United States Court of Federal Claims not to be an Indian of the Reservation shall not be eligible for inclusion on such roll. Children under age 10 on the date they applied for the Settlement Roll who have lived all their lives on the Joint Reservation or the Hoopa Valley or Yurok Reservations, and who otherwise meet the requirements of this section except they lack 10 years of Reservation residence, shall be included on the Settlement Roll.
(b) Right to apply; notice
Within thirty days after October 31, 1988, the Secretary shall give such notice of the right to apply for enrollment as provided in subsection (a) of this section as he deems reasonable except that such notice shall include, but shall not be limited to—
(1) actual notice by registered mail to every plaintiff in the Short cases at their last known address;
(3) publication in newspapers of general circulation in the vicinity of the Hoopa Valley Reservation and elsewhere in the State of California.
Contemporaneous with providing the notice required by this subsection, the Secretary shall publish such notice in the Federal Register.
(c) Application deadline
The deadline for application pursuant to this section shall be established at one hundred and twenty days after the publication of the notice by the Secretary in the Federal Register as required by subsection (b) of this section.
(d) Eligibility determination; final roll
(1) The Secretary shall make determinations of eligibility of applicants under this section and publish in the Federal Register the final Settlement Roll of such persons one hundred and eighty days after the date established pursuant to subsection (c) of this section.
(2) The Secretary shall develop such procedures and times as may be necessary for the consideration of appeals from applicants not included on the roll published pursuant to paragraph (1). Successful appellants shall be added to the Settlement Roll and shall be afforded the right to elect options as provided in section 1300i–5 of this title, with any payments to be made to such successful appellants out of the remainder of the Settlement Fund after payments have been made pursuant to section 1300i–5 (d) of this title and prior to division pursuant to section 1300i–6 of this title.
(3) Persons added to the Settlement Roll pursuant to appeals under this subsection shall not be considered in the calculations made pursuant to section 1300i–3 of this title.
(4) For the sole purpose of preparing the Settlement Roll under this section, the Yurok Transition Team and the Hoopa Valley Business Council may review applications, make recommendations which the Secretary shall accept unless conflicting or erroneous, and may appeal the Secretary’s decisions concerning the Settlement Roll. Full disclosure of relevant records shall be made to the Team and to the Council notwithstanding any other provision of law.
(e) Effect of exclusion from roll
No person whose name is not included on the Settlement Roll shall have any interest in the tribal, communal, or unallotted land, property, resources, or rights within, or appertaining to, the Hoopa Valley Tribe, the Hoopa Valley Reservation, the Yurok Tribe, or the Yurok Reservation or in the Settlement Fund unless such person is subsequently enrolled in the Hoopa Valley Tribe or the Yurok Tribe under the membership criteria and ordinances of such tribes.
Source(Pub. L. 100–580, § 5,Oct. 31, 1988, 102 Stat. 2928; Pub. L. 101–301, § 9(1), (2),May 24, 1990, 104 Stat. 210; Pub. L. 102–572, title IX, § 902(b)(1),Oct. 29, 1992, 106 Stat. 4516.)
1992—Subsec. (a)(2). Pub. L. 102–572substituted “United States Court of Federal Claims” for “United States Claims Court” in two places.
1990—Subsec. (a)(2). Pub. L. 101–301, § 9(1), inserted at end “Children under age 10 on the date they applied for the Settlement Roll who have lived all their lives on the Joint Reservation or the Hoopa Valley or Yurok Reservations, and who otherwise meet the requirements of this section except they lack 10 years of Reservation residence, shall be included on the Settlement Roll.”
Subsec. (d)(4). Pub. L. 101–301, § 9(2), added par. (4).
Effective Date of 1992 Amendment