25 U.S. Code § 2704 - National Indian Gaming Commission
prev | next
There is established within the Department of the Interior a Commission to be known as the National Indian Gaming Commission.
(b) Composition; investigation; term of office; removal
(1) The Commission shall be composed of three full-time members who shall be appointed as follows:
(A) a Chairman, who shall be appointed by the President with the advice and consent of the Senate; and
(A) The Attorney General shall conduct a background investigation on any person considered for appointment to the Commission.
(3) Not more than two members of the Commission shall be of the same political party. At least two members of the Commission shall be enrolled members of any Indian tribe.
(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), the term of office of the members of the Commission shall be three years.
(5) No individual shall be eligible for any appointment to, or to continue service on, the Commission, who—
(C) has a financial interest in, or management responsibility for, any management contract approved pursuant to section 2711 of this title.
Vacancies occurring on the Commission shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointment. A member may serve after the expiration of his term of office until his successor has been appointed, unless the member has been removed for cause under subsection (b)(6) of this section.
Two members of the Commission, at least one of which is the Chairman or Vice Chairman, shall constitute a quorum.
(e) Vice Chairman
The Commission shall select, by majority vote, one of the members of the Commission to serve as Vice Chairman. The Vice Chairman shall serve as Chairman during meetings of the Commission in the absence of the Chairman.
The Commission shall meet at the call of the Chairman or a majority of its members, but shall meet at least once every 4 months.
(1) The Chairman of the Commission shall be paid at a rate equal to that of level IV of the Executive Schedule under section 5315 of title 5.
(2) The associate members of the Commission shall each be paid at a rate equal to that of level V of the Executive Schedule under section 5316 of title 5.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.