25 U.S. Code § 3051 - Purposes
prev | next
The purposes of this chapter are—
(1) to authorize the reburial of human remains and cultural items on National Forest System land, including human remains and cultural items repatriated under the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (25 U.S.C. 3001 et seq.);
(2) to prevent the unauthorized disclosure of information regarding reburial sites, including the quantity and identity of human remains and cultural items on sites and the location of sites;
(3) to authorize the Secretary of Agriculture to ensure access to National Forest System land, to the maximum extent practicable, by Indians and Indian tribes for traditional and cultural purposes;
(4) to authorize the Secretary to provide forest products, without consideration, to Indian tribes for traditional and cultural purposes;
(5) to authorize the Secretary to protect the confidentiality of certain information, including information that is culturally sensitive to Indian tribes;
(6) to increase the availability of Forest Service programs and resources to Indian tribes in support of the policy of the United States to promote tribal sovereignty and self-determination; and
Source(Pub. L. 110–234, title VIII, § 8101,May 22, 2008, 122 Stat. 1286; Pub. L. 110–246, § 4(a), title VIII, § 8101,June 18, 2008, 122 Stat. 1664, 2048.)
References in Text
The Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act, referred to in par. (1), is Pub. L. 101–601, Nov. 16, 1990, 104 Stat. 3048, which is classified principally to chapter 32 (§ 3001 et seq.) of this title. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 3001 of this title and Tables.
The American Indian Religious Freedom Act, referred to in par. (7), is Pub. L. 95–341, Aug. 11, 1978, 92 Stat. 469, which is classified to sections 1996 and 1996a of Title 42, The Public Health and Welfare. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 1996 of Title 42 and Tables.
Pub. L. 110–234and Pub. L. 110–246enacted identical sections. Pub. L. 110–234was repealed by section 4(a) ofPub. L. 110–246.
Enactment of this chapter and repeal of Pub. L. 110–234by Pub. L. 110–246effective May 22, 2008, the date of enactment of Pub. L. 110–234, see section 4 ofPub. L. 110–246, set out as a note under section 8701 of Title 7, Agriculture.
Definition of “Secretary”
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.