25 U.S. Code § 3502 - Indian tribal energy resource development
prev | next
(a) Department of the Interior program
(1) To assist Indian tribes in the development of energy resources and further the goal of Indian self-determination, the Secretary shall establish and implement an Indian energy resource development program to assist consenting Indian tribes and tribal energy resource development organizations in achieving the purposes of this chapter.
(2) In carrying out the Program, the Secretary shall—
(A) provide development grants to Indian tribes and tribal energy resource development organizations for use in developing or obtaining the managerial and technical capacity needed to develop energy resources on Indian land, and to properly account for resulting energy production and revenues;
(B) provide grants to Indian tribes and tribal energy resource development organizations for use in carrying out projects to promote the integration of energy resources, and to process, use, or develop those energy resources, on Indian land;
(C) provide low-interest loans to Indian tribes and tribal energy resource development organizations for use in the promotion of energy resource development on Indian land and integration of energy resources; and
(D) provide grants and technical assistance to an appropriate tribal environmental organization, as determined by the Secretary, that represents multiple Indian tribes to establish a national resource center to develop tribal capacity to establish and carry out tribal environmental programs in support of energy-related programs and activities under this chapter, including—
(i) training programs for tribal environmental officials, program managers, and other governmental representatives;
(ii) the development of model environmental policies and tribal laws, including tribal environmental review codes, and the creation and maintenance of a clearinghouse of best environmental management practices; and
(b) Department of Energy Indian energy education planning and management assistance program
(1) The Director shall establish programs to assist consenting Indian tribes in meeting energy education, research and development, planning, and management needs.
(2) In carrying out this subsection, the Director may provide grants, on a competitive basis, to an Indian tribe or tribal energy resource development organization for use in carrying out—
(B) studies and other activities supporting tribal acquisitions of energy supplies, services, and facilities, including the creation of tribal utilities to assist in securing electricity to promote electrification of homes and businesses on Indian land;
(C) planning, construction, development, operation, maintenance, and improvement of tribal electrical generation, transmission, and distribution facilities located on Indian land; and
(A) The Director shall develop a program to support and implement research projects that provide Indian tribes with opportunities to participate in carbon sequestration practices on Indian land, including—
(B) The activities carried out under subparagraph (A) shall be—
(i) coordinated with other carbon sequestration research and development programs conducted by the Secretary of Energy;
(ii) conducted to determine methods consistent with existing standardized measurement protocols to account and report the quantity of carbon dioxide or other greenhouse gases sequestered in projects that may be implemented on Indian land; and
(A) The Director, in consultation with Indian tribes, may develop a formula for providing grants under this subsection.
(B) In providing a grant under this subsection, the Director shall give priority to any application received from an Indian tribe with inadequate electric service (as determined by the Director).
(C) In providing a grant under this subsection for an activity to provide, or expand the provision of, electricity on Indian land, the Director shall encourage cooperative arrangements between Indian tribes and utilities that provide service to Indian tribes, as the Director determines to be appropriate.
(5) The Secretary of Energy may issue such regulations as the Secretary determines to be necessary to carry out this subsection.
(c) Department of Energy loan guarantee program
(1) Subject to paragraphs (2) and (4), the Secretary of Energy may provide loan guarantees (as defined in section 661a of title 2) for an amount equal to not more than 90 percent of the unpaid principal and interest due on any loan made to an Indian tribe for energy development.
(2) In providing a loan guarantee under this subsection for an activity to provide, or expand the provision of, electricity on Indian land, the Secretary of Energy shall encourage cooperative arrangements between Indian tribes and utilities that provide service to Indian tribes, as the Secretary determines to be appropriate.
(3) A loan guarantee under this subsection shall be made by—
(4) The aggregate outstanding amount guaranteed by the Secretary of Energy at any time under this subsection shall not exceed $2,000,000,000.
(5) The Secretary of Energy may issue such regulations as the Secretary of Energy determines are necessary to carry out this subsection.
(6) There are authorized to be appropriated such sums as are necessary to carry out this subsection, to remain available until expended.
(1) In purchasing electricity or any other energy product or byproduct, a Federal agency or department may give preference to an energy and resource production enterprise, partnership, consortium, corporation, or other type of business organization the majority of the interest in which is owned and controlled by 1 or more Indian tribes.
Source(Pub. L. 102–486, title XXVI, § 2602, as added Pub. L. 109–58, title V, § 503(a),Aug. 8, 2005, 119 Stat. 765.)
August 8, 2005, referred to in subsec. (c)(7), was in the original “the date of enactment of this section”, which was translated as meaning the date of enactment of Pub. L. 109–58, which amended this chapter generally, to reflect the probable intent of Congress.