28 U.S. Code § 3301 - Definitions
prev | next
As used in this subchapter:
(1) “Affiliate” means—
(A) a person who directly or indirectly owns, controls, or holds with power to vote, 20 percent or more of the outstanding voting securities of the debtor, other than a person who holds the securities—
(B) a corporation 20 percent or more of whose outstanding voting securities are directly or indirectly owned, controlled, or held with power to vote, by the debtor or a person who directly or indirectly owns, controls, or holds with power to vote, 20 percent or more of the outstanding voting securities of the debtor, other than the person who holds securities—
(C) a person whose business is operated by the debtor under a lease or other agreement, or a person substantially all of whose assets are controlled by the debtor; or
(2) “Asset” means property of a debtor, but does not include—
(3) “Claim” means a right to payment, whether or not the right is reduced to judgment, liquidated, unliquidated, fixed, contingent, matured, unmatured, disputed, undisputed, legal, equitable, secured, or unsecured.
(5) “Insider” includes—
(A) if the debtor is an individual—
(B) if the debtor is a corporation—
(C) if the debtor is a partnership—
(ii) a relative of a general partner in, a general partner of, or a person in control of the debtor;
(v) a person in control of the debtor. 
(4)  “Lien” means a charge against or an interest in property to secure payment of a debt and includes a security interest created by agreement, a judicial lien obtained by legal or equitable process or proceedings, a common law lien, or a statutory lien.
(5)  “Relative” means an individual related, by consanguinity or adoption, within the third degree as determined by the common law, a spouse, or an individual so related to a spouse within the third degree as so determined.
(6)  “Transfer” means every mode, direct or indirect, absolute or conditional, voluntary or involuntary, of disposing of or parting with an asset or an interest in an asset, and includes payment of money, release, lease, and creation of a lien or other encumbrance.
(7)  “Valid lien” means a lien that is effective against the holder of a judicial lien subsequently obtained in legal or equitable proceeding.
 So in original. The period probably should be a semicolon.
 So in original. Probably should be “(6)”.
 So in original. Probably should be “(7)”.
 So in original. Probably should be “(8)”.
 So in original. Probably should be “(9)”.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.