31 U.S. Code § 6720 - Definitions, application, and administration
prev | next
(a) Definitions.— In this chapter—
(1) “unit of general local government” means—
(A) a county, township, city, or political subdivision of a county, township, or city, that is a unit of general local government as determined by the Secretary of Commerce for general statistical purposes; and
(2) “payment period” means each 1-year period beginning on October 1 of the years 1994 through 2000;
(3) “State and local taxes” means taxes imposed by a State government or unit of general local government or other political subdivision of a State government for public purposes (except employee and employer assessments and contributions to finance retirement and social insurance systems and other special assessments for capital outlay) as determined by the Secretary of Commerce for general statistical purposes;
(5) “income” means the total money income received from all sources as determined by the Secretary of Commerce for general statistical purposes, which for units of general local government is reported by the Bureau of the Census for 1990 in the publication Summary Social, Economic, and Housing Characteristics;
(6) “per capita income” means—
(A) in the case of the United States, the income of the United States divided by the population of the United States;
(7) “finding of discrimination” means a decision by the Secretary about a complaint described in section 6716 (b), a decision by a State or local administrative agency, or other information (under regulations prescribed by the Secretary) that it is more likely than not that a unit of general local government has not complied with section 6711 (a) or (b);
(8) “holding of discrimination” means a holding by a United States court, a State court, or an administrative law judge appointed under section 3105 of title 5, United States Code, that a unit of general local government expending amounts received under this chapter has—
(A) excluded a person in the United States from participating in, denied the person the benefits of, or subjected the person to discrimination under, a program or activity because of race, color, national origin, or sex; or
(b) Delegation of Administration.— The Secretary may enter into agreements with other executive branch departments and agencies to delegate to that department or agency all or part of the Secretary’s responsibility for administering this chapter.
(c) Treatment of Subsumed Areas.— If the entire geographic area of a unit of general local government is located in a larger entity, the unit of general local government is deemed to be located in the larger entity. If only part of the geographic area of a unit is located in a larger entity, each part is deemed to be located in the larger entity and to be a separate unit of general local government in determining allocations under this chapter. Except as provided in regulations prescribed by the Secretary, the Secretary shall make all data computations based on the ratio of the estimated population of the part to the population of the entire unit of general local government.
(d) Boundary and Other Changes.— If a boundary line change, a State statutory or constitutional change, annexation, a governmental reorganization, or other circumstance results in the application of sections 6704 through 6708 in a way that does not carry out the purposes of sections 6701 through 6708, the Secretary shall apply sections 6701 through 6708 under regulations of the Secretary in a way that is consistent with those purposes.
Source(Added Pub. L. 103–322, title III, § 31001(a),Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 1880.)
Prior sections 6720 to 6724 were repealed by Pub. L. 99–272, title XIV, § 14001(a)(1), (e),Apr. 7, 1986, 100 Stat. 327, 329, eff. Oct. 18, 1986.
Section 6720,Pub. L. 97–258, Sept. 13, 1982, 96 Stat. 1027, related to enforcement by Attorney General of prohibitions on discrimination.
Section 6721,Pub. L. 97–258, Sept. 13, 1982, 96 Stat. 1028, related to civil action by person adversely affected.
Section 6723,Pub. L. 97–258, Sept. 13, 1982, 96 Stat. 1029; Pub. L. 98–185, § 8,Nov. 30, 1983, 97 Stat. 1310, related to audits, investigations, and reviews.