37 U.S. Code § 354 - Special pay: 15-year career status bonus for members entering service on or after August 1, 1986
prev | next
(a) Availability of Bonus.— The Secretary concerned shall pay a bonus under this section to an eligible career bonus member if the member—
(b) Eligible Career Bonus Member Defined.— In this section, the term “eligible career bonus member” means a member of a uniformed service serving on active duty who—
(c) Election Method.— An election under subsection (a)(1) shall be made in such form and within such period as the Secretary concerned may prescribe. An election under that subsection is irrevocable.
(d) Amount of Bonus; Payment.—
(2) A member electing to receive the bonus under this section shall elect one of the following payment options:
(3) If a member elects installment payments under paragraph (2), the second installment (and subsequent installments, as applicable) shall be paid on the earlier of the following dates:
(4) The lump sum payment of the bonus, and the first installment payment in the case of members who elect to receive the bonus in installments, shall be paid to an eligible career bonus member not later than the first month that begins on or after the date that is 60 days after the date on which the Secretary concerned receives from the member the election required under subsection (a)(1) and the written agreement required under subsection (a)(2), if applicable.
(e) Notification of Eligibility.—
(1) The Secretary concerned shall transmit to each member who meets the definition of eligible career bonus member a written notification of the opportunity of the member to elect to receive a bonus under this section. The Secretary shall provide the notification not later than 180 days before the date on which the member will complete 15 years of active duty.
(2) The notification shall include the following:
(f) Repayment.— If a person paid a bonus under this section does not complete a period of active duty beginning on the date on which the election of the person under paragraph (1) of subsection (a) is received and ending on the date on which the person completes 20 years of active duty service as described in paragraph (2) of such subsection, the person shall be subject to the repayment provisions of section 373 of this title.
Source(Added Pub. L. 106–65, div. A, title VI, § 642(a),Oct. 5, 1999, 113 Stat. 662, § 322; amended Pub. L. 107–107, div. A, title VI, § 620(a),Dec. 28, 2001, 115 Stat. 1138; Pub. L. 109–163, div. A, title VI, § 687(b)(30),Jan. 6, 2006, 119 Stat. 3332; renumbered § 354 and amended Pub. L. 110–181, div. A, title VI, § 661(b)(1), (2),Jan. 28, 2008, 122 Stat. 178.)
2006—Subsec. (f). Pub. L. 109–163, amended heading and text of subsec. (f) generally, substituting provisions referring to repayment provisions of section 303a (e) for specific provisions relating to repayment required when person elects to receive bonus to remain continuously on active duty until completion of 20 years but fails to complete total period.
2001—Subsec. (d)(1). Pub. L. 107–107, § 620(a)(1), substituted “equal to $30,000” for “paid in a single lump sum of $30,000”.
Subsec. (d)(2) to (4). Pub. L. 107–107, § 620(a)(2), (3), added pars. (2) and (3), redesignated former par. (2) as (4), and substituted therein “The lump sum payment of the bonus, and the first installment payment in the case of members who elect to receive the bonus in installments,” for “The bonus”.
Section effective Oct. 1, 1999, see section 644 ofPub. L. 106–65, set out as an Effective Date of 1999 Amendment note under section 1401a of Title 10, Armed Forces.
For savings provision relating to payment or repayment of any bonus, incentive pay, special pay, or similar pay obligated to be paid before Apr. 1, 2006, under a provision of this section amended by section 687(b) ofPub. L. 109–163, see section 687(f) ofPub. L. 109–163, set out as a note under section 510 of Title 10, Armed Forces.
Application to Existing Agreements
Pub. L. 107–107, div. A, title VI, § 620(b),Dec. 28, 2001, 115 Stat. 1139, provided that: “The Secretary concerned (as defined in section 101 (5) of title 37, United States Code) shall extend to each member of the uniformed services who has executed the written agreement required by subsection (a)(2) ofsection 322 [now 354] of such title before the date of the enactment of this Act [Dec. 28, 2001], but who has not received the lump sum payment by that date, an opportunity to make the election authorized by subsection (d) of such section, as amended by this section.”