37 U.S. Code § 481j - Travel and transportation allowances: transportation of family members incident to the repatriation of members held captive
prev | next
(a) Allowance for Family Members and Certain Others.—
(1) Under uniform regulations prescribed by the Secretaries concerned, travel and transportation described in subsection (d) may be provided for not more than three family members of a member described in subsection (b).
(2) In addition to the family members authorized to be provided travel and transportation under paragraph (1), the Secretary concerned may provide travel and transportation described in subsection (d) to an attendant to accompany a family member described in that paragraph if the Secretary determines that—
(A) the family member to be accompanied is unable to travel unattended because of age, physical condition, or other reason determined by the Secretary; and
(3) If no family member of a member described in subsection (b) is able to travel to the repatriation site of the member, travel and transportation described in subsection (d) may be provided to not more than 2 persons related to and selected by the member.
(b) Covered Members.— A member described in this subsection is a member of the uniformed services who—
(c) Eligible Family Members.— In this section, the term “family member” has the meaning given the term in section 481h (b) of this title.
(d) Travel and Transportation Authorized.—
(1) The transportation authorized by subsection (a) is round-trip transportation between the home of the family member (or home of the attendant or person provided transportation under paragraph (2) or (3) of subsection (a), as the case may be) and the location of the repatriation site at which the member is located.
(2) In addition to the transportation authorized by subsection (a), the Secretary concerned may provide a per diem allowance or reimbursement for the actual and necessary expenses of the travel, or a combination thereof, but not to exceed the rates established for such allowances and expenses under section 474 (d) of this title.
(3) The transportation authorized by subsection (a) may be provided by any of the means described in section 481h (d)(1) of this title.
Source(Added Pub. L. 109–163, div. A, title VI, § 653(a),Jan. 6, 2006, 119 Stat. 3312, § 411j; renumbered § 481j and amended Pub. L. 112–81, div. A, title VI, § 631(d)(2), (e)(23), (f)(4)(A),Dec. 31, 2011, 125 Stat. 1460, 1463, 1465; Pub. L. 112–239, div. A, title X, § 1076(a)(9),Jan. 2, 2013, 126 Stat. 1948.)
2013—Pub. L. 112–239, § 1076(a)(9), made technical amendment to directory language of Pub. L. 112–81, § 631(f)(4)(A). See 2011 Amendment note below.
2011—Pub. L. 112–81, § 631(f)(4)(A), as amended by Pub. L. 112–239, § 1076(a)(9), substituted “481h” for “411h” in subsecs. (c) and (d)(3) and “474” for “404” in subsec. (d)(2).
Subsec. (e). Pub. L. 112–81, § 631(e)(23), added subsec. (e).
Effective Date of 2013 Amendment