38 U.S. Code § 541 - Advisory Committee on Former Prisoners of War
prev | next
(1) The Secretary shall establish an advisory committee to be known as the Advisory Committee on Former Prisoners of War (hereinafter in this section referred to as the “Committee”).
(A) The members of the Committee shall be appointed by the Secretary from the general public and shall include—
(ii) individuals who are recognized authorities in fields pertinent to disabilities prevalent among former prisoners of war, including authorities in epidemiology, mental health, nutrition, geriatrics, and internal medicine; and
(b) The Secretary shall, on a regular basis, consult with and seek the advice of the Committee with respect to the administration of benefits under this title for veterans who are former prisoners of war and the needs of such veterans with respect to compensation, health care, and rehabilitation.
(1) Not later than July 1 of each odd-numbered year through 2009, the Committee shall submit to the Secretary a report on the programs and activities of the Department that pertain to veterans who are former prisoners of war. Each such report shall include—
(A) an assessment of the needs of such veterans with respect to compensation, health care, and rehabilitation;
(2) The Secretary shall, within 60 days after receiving each report under paragraph (1), submit to the Congress a copy of the report, together with any comments concerning the report that the Secretary considers appropriate.
(3) The Committee may also submit to the Secretary such other reports and recommendations as the Committee considers appropriate.
(4) The Secretary shall submit with each annual report submitted to the Congress pursuant to section 529 of this title a summary of all reports and recommendations of the Committee submitted to the Secretary since the previous annual report of the Secretary submitted to the Congress pursuant to that section.
Source(Added Pub. L. 102–83, § 2(a),Aug. 6, 1991, 105 Stat. 392; amended Pub. L. 102–405, title III, § 302(c)(1),Oct. 9, 1992, 106 Stat. 1984; Pub. L. 106–419, title IV, § 403(c)(2),Nov. 1, 2000, 114 Stat. 1864; Pub. L. 108–454, title VIII, § 803,Dec. 10, 2004, 118 Stat. 3626.)
Provisions similar to those in this section were contained in section 221 of this title prior to repeal by Pub. L. 102–83, § 2(a).
2004—Subsec. (c)(1). Pub. L. 108–454substituted “2009” for “2003”.
2000—Subsec. (c)(1). Pub. L. 106–419inserted “through 2003” after “each odd-numbered year” in introductory provisions.
1992—Subsec. (a)(2)(B). Pub. L. 102–405substituted “Under Secretary for Health” for “Chief Medical Director” and “Under Secretary for Benefits” for “Chief Benefits Director”.
Termination of Advisory Committees
Advisory committees established after Jan. 5, 1973, to terminate not later than the expiration of the 2-year period beginning on the date of their establishment, unless, in the case of a committee established by the President or an officer of the Federal Government, such committee is renewed by appropriate action prior to the expiration of such 2-year period, or in the case of a committee established by the Congress, its duration is otherwise provided by law. See section 14 ofPub. L. 92–463, Oct. 6, 1972, 86 Stat. 776, set out in the Appendix to Title 5, Government Organization and Employees.