40 U.S. Code § 15101 - Definitions
prev | next
In this subtitle, the following definitions apply:
(1) Commission.— The term “Commission” means a Commission established under section 15301.
(2) Local development district.— The term “local development district” means an entity that—
(i) is an economic development district that is—
(ii) if an entity described in clause (i) does not exist—
(I) is organized and operated in a manner that ensures broad-based community participation and an effective opportunity for local officials, community leaders, and the public to contribute to the development and implementation of programs in the region;
(II) is governed by a policy board with at least a simple majority of members consisting of—
(B) has not, as certified by the Federal Cochairperson—
(3) Federal grant program.— The term “Federal grant program” means a Federal grant program to provide assistance in carrying out economic and community development activities.
(4) Indian tribe.— The term “Indian tribe” has the meaning given the term in section 4 of the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act (25 U.S.C. 450b).
(5) Nonprofit entity.— The term “nonprofit entity” means any organization described in section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 and exempt from taxation under 501(a) of that Code that has been formed for the purpose of economic development.
(6) Region.— The term “region” means the area covered by a Commission as described in subchapter II of chapter 157. 
 So in original. Probably means chapter 4 of this subtitle.
Source(Added Pub. L. 110–234, title XIV, § 14217(a)(2),May 22, 2008, 122 Stat. 1468, and Pub. L. 110–246, § 4(a), title XIV, § 14217(a)(2),June 18, 2008, 122 Stat. 1664, 2230.)
References in Text
The date of the enactment of this chapter, referred to in par. (2)(A)(i)(I), is the date of enactment of Pub. L. 110–246, which was approved June 18, 2008.
Section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, referred to in par. (5), is classified to section 501 of Title 26, Internal Revenue Code.
Pub. L. 110–234and Pub. L. 110–246enacted identical sections. Pub. L. 110–234was repealed by section 4(a) ofPub. L. 110–246.
Enactment of this subtitle and repeal of Pub. L. 110–234by Pub. L. 110–246effective May 22, 2008, the date of enactment of Pub. L. 110–234, except as otherwise provided, see section 4 ofPub. L. 110–246, set out as a note under section 8701 of Title 7, Agriculture.
Pub. L. 110–234, title XIV, § 14217(d),May 22, 2008, 122 Stat. 1482, and Pub. L. 110–246, § 4(a), title XIV, § 14217(d),June 18, 2008, 122 Stat. 1664, 2244, provided that: “This section [enacting this subtitle, redesignating former subtitle V as subtitle VI of this title, and amending section 11 of the Inspector General Act of 1978, Pub. L. 95–452, set out in the Appendix to Title 5, Government Organization and Employees], and the amendments made by this section, shall take effect on the first day of the first fiscal year beginning after the date of the enactment of this Act [June 18, 2008].”