42 U.S. Code § 11371 - Definitions
prev | next
For purposes of this part:
(3) The term “metropolitan city” has the meaning given such term in section 5302 of this title.
(4) The term “operating costs” means expenses incurred by a recipient operating a facility assisted under this part with respect to—
(5) The term “private nonprofit organization” means a secular or religious organization described in section 501 (c) of title 26 that is exempt from taxation under subtitle A of title 26, has an accounting system and a voluntary board, and practices nondiscrimination in the provision of assistance.
(6) The term “recipient” means any governmental or private nonprofit entity that is approved by the Secretary as to financial responsibility.
(8) The term “State” means each of the several States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, and any other territory or possession of the United States.
(9) The term “urban county” has the meaning given such term in section 5302 of this title.
Source(Pub. L. 100–77, title IV, § 411,July 22, 1987, 101 Stat. 495; Pub. L. 101–625, title VIII, § 832(f)(1),Nov. 28, 1990, 104 Stat. 4361; Pub. L. 104–330, title V, § 506(a)(1),Oct. 26, 1996, 110 Stat. 4044.)
1996—Par. (10). Pub. L. 104–330struck out par. (10) which read as follows: “The term ‘Indian tribe’ has the meaning given such term in section 5302 (a)(17) of this title.”
1990—Par. (10). Pub. L. 101–625added par. (10).
Effective Date of 1996 Amendment
Amendment by Pub. L. 104–330effective Oct. 1, 1997, except as otherwise expressly provided, see section 107 ofPub. L. 104–330, set out as an Effective Date note under section 4101 of Title 25, Indians.
Pub. L. 104–330, title V, § 506(c),Oct. 26, 1996, 110 Stat. 4045, as amended by Pub. L. 106–400, § 2,Oct. 30, 2000, 114 Stat. 1675, provided that: “The amendments under subsections (a) [amending this section and sections 11372 to 11376, 11382, 11401, 11403g, and 11408 of this title] and (b) [amending provisions formerly set out as a note under section 11301 of this title] shall apply with respect to amounts made available for assistance under title IV of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act [42 U.S.C. 11360 et seq.] and section 2 of the HUD Demonstration Act of 1993 [Pub. L. 103–120, former 42 U.S.C. 11301 note], respectively, for fiscal year 1998 and fiscal years thereafter.”
Termination of Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands
For termination of Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, see note set out preceding section 1681 of Title 48, Territories and Insular Possessions.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.