42 U.S. Code § 12002 - Definitions
As used in this chapter—
(1) the term “invention” means an invention or discovery that is patented or for which a patent may be obtained under title 35, or any novel variety of plant that is protected or for which plant variety protection may be obtained under the Plant Variety Protection Act (7 U.S.C. 2321 et seq.) and that is conceived or reduced to practice as a result of work under an agreement entered into under this chapter;
(2) the term “non-Federal person” means an entity located in the United States, the controlling interest (as defined by the Secretary) of which is held by persons of the United States, including—
(4) the term “small business”, with respect to a participant in any demonstration and commercial application project under this chapter, means a private firm that does not exceed the numerical size standard promulgated by the Small Business Administration under section 632 (a) of title 15 for the Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code designated by the Secretary of Energy as the primary business activity to be undertaken in the demonstration and commercial application project;
(5) the term “source reduction” means any practice which—
(A) reduces the amount of any hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant entering any waste stream or otherwise released into the environment, including fugitive emissions, prior to recycling, treatment, or disposal; and
(B) reduces the hazards to the public health and the environment associated with the release of such substances, pollutants, or contaminants,
including equipment or technology modifications, process or procedure modifications, reformulation or redesign of products, substitution of raw materials, and improvements in housekeeping, maintenance, training, and inventory control, but not including any practice which alters the physical, chemical, or biological characteristics or the volume of a hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant through a process or activity which itself is not integral to and necessary for the production of a product or the providing of a service; 
(6) the term “United States” means the several States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and any other Commonwealth, territory, or possession of the United States.
 So in original. Probably should be “; and”.
Source(Pub. L. 101–218, § 3,Dec. 11, 1989, 103 Stat. 1859; Pub. L. 102–486, title XII, § 1202(d)(4),Oct. 24, 1992, 106 Stat. 2960.)
References in Text
This chapter, referred to in introductory provisions and pars. (1) and (4), was in the original “this Act”, meaning Pub. L. 101–218, Dec. 11, 1989, 103 Stat. 1859, known as the Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Technology Competitiveness Act of 1989, which is classified principally to this chapter. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 12001 of this title and Tables.
The Plant Variety Protection Act, referred to in par. (1), is Pub. L. 91–577, Dec. 24, 1970, 84 Stat. 1542, as amended, which is classified principally to chapter 57 (§ 2321 et seq.) of Title 7, Agriculture. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 2321 of Title 7 and Tables.
1992—Pars. (2) to (5). Pub. L. 102–486redesignated pars. (3) to (5) as (2) to (4), respectively, in par. (4) substituted “any demonstration and commercial application project” for “any joint venture” and “in the demonstration and commercial application project;” for “in the venture; and”, added par. (5), and struck out former par. (2) which read as follows: “ ‘joint venture’ means any agreement entered into under this chapter by the Secretary with more than one or a consortium of non-Federal persons (including a joint venture under the National Cooperative Research Act of 1984 (15 U.S.C. 4301 et seq.)) for cost-shared research, development, or demonstration of technologies, but does not include procurement contracts, grant agreements, or cooperative agreements as those terms are used in sections 6303, 6304, and 6305 of title 31;”.