42 U.S. Code § 13251 - Mandate for alternative fuel providers
prev | next
(a) In general
(1) The Secretary shall, before January 1, 1994, issue regulations requiring that of the new light duty motor vehicles acquired by a covered person described in paragraph (2), the following percentages shall be alternative fueled vehicles for the following model years:
(2) For purposes of this section, a person referred to in paragraph (1) is—
(A) a covered person whose principal business is producing, storing, refining, processing, transporting, distributing, importing, or selling at wholesale or retail any alternative fuel other than electricity;
(B) a non-Federal covered person whose principal business is generating, transmitting, importing, or selling at wholesale or retail electricity; or
(A) In the case of a covered person described in paragraph (2) with more than one affiliate, division, or other business unit, only an affiliate, division, or business unit which is substantially engaged in the alternative fuels business (as determined by the Secretary by rule) shall be subject to this subsection.
(B) No covered person or affiliate, division, or other business unit of such person whose principal business is—
(ii) consuming alternative fuels as a feedstock or fuel in the manufacture of a product that is not an alternative fuel,
shall be subject to this subsection.
(4) The vehicles purchased pursuant to this section shall be operated solely on alternative fuels except when operating in an area where the appropriate alternative fuel is unavailable.
(5) Regulations issued under paragraph (1) shall provide for the prompt exemption by the Secretary, through a simple and reasonable process, from the requirements of paragraph (1) of any covered person, in whole or in part, if such person demonstrates to the satisfaction of the Secretary that—
(A) alternative fueled vehicles that meet the normal requirements and practices of the principal business of that person are not reasonably available for acquisition; or
(b) Revisions and extensions
With respect to model years 1997 and thereafter, the Secretary may—
(1) revise the percentage requirements under subsection (a)(1) of this section downward, except that under no circumstances shall the percentage requirement for a model year be less than 20 percent; and
(c) Option for electric utilities
The Secretary shall, within 1 year after October 24, 1992, issue regulations requiring that, in the case of a covered person whose principal business is generating, transmitting, importing, or selling at wholesale or retail electricity, the requirements of subsection (a)(1) of this section shall not apply until after December 31, 1997, with respect to electric motor vehicles. Any covered person described in this subsection which plans to acquire electric motor vehicles to comply with the requirements of this section shall so notify the Secretary before January 1, 1996.