42 U.S. Code § 13252 - Replacement fuel supply and demand program
(a) Establishment of program
The Secretary shall establish a program to promote the development and use in light duty motor vehicles of domestic replacement fuels. Such program shall promote the replacement of petroleum motor fuels with replacement fuels to the maximum extent practicable. Such program shall, to the extent practicable, ensure the availability of those replacement fuels that will have the greatest impact in reducing oil imports, improving the health of our Nation’s economy and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
(b) Development plan and production goals
Under the program established under subsection (a) of this section, the Secretary, before October 1, 1993, in consultation with the Administrator, the Secretary of Transportation, the Secretary of Agriculture, the Secretary of Commerce, and the heads of other appropriate agencies, shall review appropriate information and—
(1) estimate the domestic and nondomestic production capacity for replacement fuels and alternative fueled vehicles needed to implement this section;
(2) determine the technical and economic feasibility of achieving the goals of producing sufficient replacement fuels to replace, on an energy equivalent basis—
of the projected consumption of motor fuel in the United States for each such year, with at least one half of such replacement fuels being domestic fuels;
(3) determine the most suitable means and methods of developing and encouraging the production, distribution, and use of replacement fuels and alternative fueled vehicles in a manner that would meet the program goals described in subsection (a) of this section;
(4) identify ways to encourage the development of reliable replacement fuels and alternative fueled vehicle industries in the United States, and the technical, economic, and institutional barriers to such development; and
(5) determine the greenhouse gas emission implications of increasing the use of replacement fuels, including an estimate of the maximum feasible reduction in such emissions from the use of replacement fuels.
The Secretary shall publish in the Federal Register the results of actions taken under this subsection, and provide for an opportunity for public comment.