42 U.S. Code § 1397d - Limitation on use of grants; waiver
(a) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, grants made under this division may not be used by the State, or by any other person with which the State makes arrangements to carry out the purposes of this division—
(1) for the purchase or improvement of land, or the purchase, construction, or permanent improvement (other than minor remodeling) of any building or other facility;
(2) for the provision of cash payments for costs of subsistence or for the provision of room and board (other than costs of subsistence during rehabilitation, room and board provided for a short term as an integral but subordinate part of a social service, or temporary emergency shelter provided as a protective service);
(3) for payment of the wages of any individual as a social service (other than payment of the wages of welfare recipients employed in the provision of child day care services);
(4) for the provision of medical care (other than family planning services, rehabilitation services, or initial detoxification of an alcoholic or drug dependent individual) unless it is an integral but subordinate part of a social service for which grants may be used under this division;
(5) for social services (except services to an alcoholic or drug dependent individual or rehabilitation services) provided in and by employees of any hospital, skilled nursing facility, intermediate care facility, or prison, to any individual living in such institution;
(6) for the provision of any educational service which the State makes generally available to its residents without cost and without regard to their income;
(7) for any child day care services unless such services meet applicable standards of State and local law;
(9) for payment for any item or service (other than an emergency item or service) furnished—
(A) by an individual or entity during the period when such individual or entity is excluded under this division or subchapter V, XVIII, or XIX of this chapter pursuant to section 1320a–7, 1320a–7a, 1320c–5, or 1395u (j)(2) of this title, or
(B) at the medical direction or on the prescription of a physician during the period when the physician is excluded under this division or subchapter V, XVIII, or XIX of this chapter pursuant to section 1320a–7, 1320a–7a, 1320c–5, or 1395u (j)(2) of this title and when the person furnishing such item or service knew or had reason to know of the exclusion (after a reasonable time period after reasonable notice has been furnished to the person); or
(b) The Secretary may waive the limitation contained in subsection (a)(1) and (4) of this section upon the State’s request for such a waiver if he finds that the request describes extraordinary circumstances to justify the waiver and that permitting the waiver will contribute to the State’s ability to carry out the purposes of this division.
Source(Aug. 14, 1935, ch. 531, title XX, § 2005, as added Pub. L. 97–35, title XXIII, § 2352(a),Aug. 13, 1981, 95 Stat. 869; amended Pub. L. 100–93, § 8(i),Aug. 18, 1987, 101 Stat. 695; Pub. L. 100–203, title IV, § 4118(e)(13), Dec. 22, 1987, as added Pub. L. 100–360, title IV, § 411(k)(10)(D),July 1, 1988, 102 Stat. 796; Pub. L. 100–485, title VI, § 608(d)(26)(K)(ii),Oct. 13, 1988, 102 Stat. 2422; Pub. L. 105–12, § 9(c),Apr. 30, 1997, 111 Stat. 27; Pub. L. 111–148, title VI, § 6703(d)(1)(B),Mar. 23, 2010, 124 Stat. 803.)
References in Text
The Assisted Suicide Funding Restriction Act of 1997, referred to in subsec. (a)(10), is Pub. L. 105–12, Apr. 30, 1997, 111 Stat. 23, which is classified principally to chapter 138 (§ 14401 et seq.) of this title. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 14401 of this title and Tables.
A prior section 1397d, act Aug. 14, 1935, ch. 531, title XX, § 2005, as added Jan. 4, 1975, Pub. L. 93–647, § 2, 88 Stat. 2347; amended June 17, 1980, Pub. L. 96–272, title II, § 206(d), 94 Stat. 525, related to effective date of implementing regulations, prior to the general revision of this subchapter by section 2352(a) ofPub. L. 97–35.
2010—Pub. L. 111–148, which directed substitution of “this division” for “this subchapter” wherever appearing in subtitle 1 of title XX of act Aug. 14, 1935, was executed by making the substitution wherever appearing in this section, which is in subtitle A of title XX act Aug. 14, 1935, to reflect the probable intent of Congress.
1997—Subsec. (a)(10). Pub. L. 105–12added par. (10).
1988—Subsec. (a)(9)(A), (B). Pub. L. 100–360, § 411(k)(10)(D), as amended by Pub. L. 100–485, § 608(d)(26)(K)(ii), added Pub. L. 100–203, § 4118(e)(13), see 1987 Amendment note below.
1987—Subsec. (a)(9). Pub. L. 100–93added par. (9).
Subsec. (a)(9)(A), (B). Pub. L. 100–203, § 4118(e)(13), as added by Pub. L. 100–360, § 411(k)(10)(D), as amended by Pub. L. 100–485, § 608(d)(26)(K)(ii), substituted “under this subchapter or subchapter V, XVIII, or XIX of this chapter pursuant to section 1320a–7, 1320a–7a, 1320c–5, or 1395u (j)(2) of this title” for “pursuant to section 1320a–7 of this title or section 1320a–7a of this title from participation in the program under this subchapter”.
Effective Date of 1997 Amendment
Amendment by Pub. L. 105–12effective Apr. 30, 1997, and applicable to Federal payments made pursuant to obligations incurred after Apr. 30, 1997, for items and services provided on or after such date, subject to also being applicable with respect to contracts entered into, renewed, or extended after Apr. 30, 1997, as well as contracts entered into before Apr. 30, 1997, to the extent permitted under such contracts, see section 11 ofPub. L. 105–12, set out as an Effective Date note under section 14401 of this title.
Effective Date of 1988 Amendments
Amendment by Pub. L. 100–485effective as if included in the enactment of the Medicare Catastrophic Coverage Act of 1988, Pub. L. 100–360, see section 608(g)(1) ofPub. L. 100–485, set out as a note under section 704 of this title.
Except as specifically provided in section 411 ofPub. L. 100–360, amendment by Pub. L. 100–360, as it relates to a provision in the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1987, Pub. L. 100–203, effective as if included in the enactment of that provision in Pub. L. 100–203, see section 411(a) ofPub. L. 100–360, set out as a Reference to OBRA; Effective Date note under section 106 of Title 1, General Provisions.
Effective Date of 1987 Amendment