42 U.S. Code § 14171 - Motor vehicle theft prevention program
prev | next
(a) In general
Not later than 180 days after September 13, 1994, the Attorney General shall develop, in cooperation with the States, a national voluntary motor vehicle theft prevention program (in this section referred to as the “program”) under which—
(1) the owner of a motor vehicle may voluntarily sign a consent form with a participating State or locality in which the motor vehicle owner—
(B) agrees to—
(2) participating States and localities authorize law enforcement officials in the State or locality to stop motor vehicles displaying program decals or devices under specified conditions and take reasonable steps to determine whether the vehicle is being operated by or with the permission of the owner.
(b) Uniform decal or device designs
(1) In general
The motor vehicle theft prevention program developed pursuant to this section shall include a uniform design or designs for decals or other devices to be displayed by motor vehicles participating in the program.
(c) Voluntary consent form
The voluntary consent form used to enroll in the program shall—
(2) clearly explain that participation in the program means that, if the participating vehicle is being operated under the specified conditions, law enforcement officials may stop the vehicle and take reasonable steps to determine whether it is being operated by or with the consent of the owner, even if the law enforcement officials have no other basis for believing that the vehicle is being operated unlawfully;
(3) include an express statement that the vehicle is not normally operated under the specified conditions and that the operation of the vehicle under those conditions would provide sufficient grounds for a prudent law enforcement officer to reasonably believe that the vehicle was not being operated by or with the consent of the owner; and
(d) Specified conditions under which stops may be authorized
(1) In general
The Attorney General shall promulgate rules establishing the conditions under which participating motor vehicles may be authorized to be stopped under this section. These conditions may not be based on race, creed, color, national origin, gender, or age. These conditions may include—
(2) More than one set of conditions
The Attorney General may establish more than one set of conditions under which participating motor vehicles may be stopped. If more than one set of conditions is established, a separate consent form and a separate design for program decals or devices shall be established for each set of conditions. The Attorney General may choose to satisfy the requirement of a separate design for program decals or devices under this paragraph by the use of a design color that is clearly distinguishable from other design colors.
(3) No new conditions without consent
After the program has begun, the conditions under which a vehicle may be stopped if affixed with a certain decal or device design may not be expanded without the consent of the owner.
(e) Motor vehicles for hire
(1) Notification to lessees
Any person who is in the business of renting or leasing motor vehicles and who rents or leases a motor vehicle on which a program decal or device is affixed shall, prior to transferring possession of the vehicle, notify the person to whom the motor vehicle is rented or leased about the program.
(2) Type of notice
The notice required by this subsection shall—
(f) Notification of police
As a condition of participating in the program, a State or locality must agree to take reasonable steps to ensure that law enforcement officials throughout the State or locality are familiar with the program, and with the conditions under which motor vehicles may be stopped under the program.
(h) Authorization of appropriations
There are authorized to carry out this section. 
 So in original. The period probably should be a dash.