42 U.S. Code § 256d - Breast and cervical cancer information
prev | next
(a) In general
As a condition of receiving grants, cooperative agreements, or contracts under this chapter, each of the entities specified in subsection (c) of this section shall, to the extent determined to be appropriate by the Secretary, make available information concerning breast and cervical cancer.
(b) Certain authorities
In carrying out subsection (a) of this section, an entity specified in subsection (c) of this section—
(1) may make the information involved available to such individuals as the entity determines appropriate;
(2) may, as appropriate, provide information under subsection (a) of this section on the need for self-examination of the breasts and on the skills for such self-examinations;
(3) shall provide information under subsection (a) of this section in the language and cultural context most appropriate to the individuals to whom the information is provided; and
(c) Relevant entities
The entities specified in this subsection are the following:
(1) Entities receiving assistance under section 247b–7  of this title (relating to tuberculosis).
(2) Entities receiving assistance under section 247c of this title (relating to sexually transmitted diseases).
(5) Entities receiving assistance under section 254b (h) of this title (relating to homeless individuals).
(6) Entities receiving assistance under section 256a  of this title (relating to health services for residents of public housing).
(7) Entities providing services with assistance under subchapter III–A of this chapter or subchapter XVII of this chapter.
(8) Entities receiving assistance under section 300 of this title (relating to family planning).
(9) Entities receiving assistance under subchapter XXIV of this chapter (relating to services with respect to acquired immune deficiency syndrome).
 See References in Text note below.
Source(July 1, 1944, ch. 373, title III, § 340D, as added Pub. L. 103–183, title I, § 104,Dec. 14, 1993, 107 Stat. 2230; amended Pub. L. 106–310, div. A, title XXV, § 2502(b),Oct. 17, 2000, 114 Stat. 1163; Pub. L. 107–251, title VI, § 601(a),Oct. 26, 2002, 116 Stat. 1664.)
References in Text
Section 247b–7 of this title, referred to in subsec. (c)(1), relates to loan repayment program and not to assistance relating to tuberculosis.
Sections 254b and 254c of this title, referred to in subsec. (c)(3), (4), were in the original references to sections 329 and 330, meaning sections 329 and 330 of act July 1, 1944, which were omitted in the general amendment of subpart I (§ 254b et seq.) of this part by Pub. L. 104–299, § 2,Oct. 11, 1996, 110 Stat. 3626. Sections 2 and 3(a) ofPub. L. 104–299enacted new sections 330 and 330A of act July 1, 1944, which are classified, respectively, to sections 254b and 254c of this title.
Section 256a of this title, referred to in subsec. (c)(6), was repealed by Pub. L. 104–299, § 4(a)(3),Oct. 11, 1996, 110 Stat. 3645.
The Indian Self-Determination Act, referred to in subsec. (c)(10), is title I of Pub. L. 93–638, Jan. 4, 1975, 88 Stat. 2206, as amended, which is classified principally to part A (§ 450f et seq.) of subchapter II of chapter 14 of Title 25, Indians. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 450 of Title 25 and Tables.
2002—Subsec. (c)(5). Pub. L. 107–251substituted “254b(h)” for “256”.
2000—Subsec. (c)(1). Pub. L. 106–310substituted “section 247b–7 of this title” for “section 247b–6 of this title”.
Reference to Community, Migrant, Public Housing, or Homeless Health Center Considered Reference to Health Center