42 U.S. Code § 286b–5 - Grants for establishing, expanding, and improving basic resources of medical libraries and related instrumentalities
prev | next
(a) The Secretary shall make grants of money, materials, or both, to public or private nonprofit medical libraries and related scientific communication instrumentalities for the purpose of establishing, expanding, and improving their basic medical library or related resources. A grant under this subsection may be used for—
(1) the acquisition of books, journals, photographs, motion picture and other films, and other similar materials;
(2) cataloging, binding, and other services and procedures for processing library resource materials for use by those who are served by the library or related instrumentality;
(3) the acquisition of duplication devices, facsimile equipment, film projectors, recording equipment, and other equipment to facilitate the use of the resources of the library or related instrumentality by those who are served by it; and
(1) The amount of any grant under this section to any medical library or related instrumentality shall be determined by the Secretary on the basis of the scope of library or related services provided by such library or instrumentality in relation to the population and purposes served by it. In making a determination of the scope of services served by any medical library or related instrumentality, the Secretary shall take into account—
(A) the number of graduate and undergraduate students making use of the resources of such library or instrumentality;
(B) the number of physicians and other practitioners in the sciences related to health utilizing the resources of such library or instrumentality;
(D) the type, size, and qualifications of the faculty of any school with which such library or instrumentality is affiliated;
(E) the staff of any hospital or hospitals or of any clinic or clinics with which such library or instrumentality is affiliated; and
(2) Grants to such medical libraries or related instrumentalities under this section shall be in such amounts as the Secretary may by regulation prescribe with a view to assuring adequate continuing financial support for such libraries or instrumentalities from other sources during and after the period for which grants are provided, except that in no case shall any grant under this section to a medical library or related instrumentality for any fiscal year exceed $1,000,000.
Source(July 1, 1944, ch. 373, title IV, § 474, as added Pub. L. 99–158, § 2,Nov. 20, 1985, 99 Stat. 861; amended Pub. L. 100–607, title I, § 146(b),Nov. 4, 1988, 102 Stat. 3058; Pub. L. 103–43, title XIV, § 1401(b),June 10, 1993, 107 Stat. 170.)
1993—Subsec. (b)(2). Pub. L. 103–43substituted “$1,000,000” for “$750,000”.
1988—Subsec. (b)(2). Pub. L. 100–607substituted “$750,000” for “$500,000”.