42 U.S. Code § 291f - Payments for construction or modernization
(a) Certification of work by Surgeon General; conditions affecting payments
Upon certification to the Surgeon General by the State agency, based upon inspection by it, that work has been performed upon a project, or purchases have been made, in accordance with the approved plans and specifications, and that payment of an installment is due to the applicant, such installment shall be paid to the State, from the applicable allotment of such State, except that
(1) if the State is not authorized by law to make payments to the applicant, or if the State so requests, the payment shall be made directly to the applicant,
(2) if the Surgeon General, after investigation or otherwise, has reason to believe that any act (or failure to act) has occurred requiring action pursuant to section 291g of this title, payment may, after he has given the State agency notice of opportunity for hearing pursuant to such section, be withheld, in whole or in part, pending corrective action or action based on such hearing, and
(3) the total of payments under this subsection with respect to such project may not exceed an amount equal to the Federal share of the cost of construction of such project.
(b) Additional payments in cases of amended applications
In case an amendment to an approved application is approved as provided in section 291e of this title or the estimated cost of a project is revised upward, any additional payment with respect thereto may be made from the applicable allotment of the State for the fiscal year in which such amendment or revision is approved.
(c) Administration expenses; use of portion of allotments to defray; manner of payment
(1) At the request of any State, a portion of any allotment or allotments of such State under this part shall be available to pay one-half (or such smaller share as the State may request) of the expenditures found necessary by the Surgeon General for the proper and efficient administration during such year of the State plan approved under this part; except that not more than 4 per centum of the total of the allotments of such State for a year, or $100,000, whichever is less, shall be available for such purpose for such year. Payments of amounts due under this paragraph may be made in advance or by way of reimbursement, and in such installments, as the Surgeon General may determine.
(2) Any amount paid under paragraph (1) of this subsection to any State for any fiscal year shall be paid on condition that there shall be expended from State sources for such year for administration of the State plan approved under this part not less than the total amount expended for such purposes from such sources during the fiscal year ending June 30, 1970.
Source(July 1, 1944, ch. 373, title VI, § 606, as added Pub. L. 88–443, § 3(a),Aug. 18, 1964, 78 Stat. 454; amended Pub. L. 91–296, title I, § 112,June 30, 1970, 84 Stat. 340.)
A prior section 291f, act July 1, 1944, ch. 373, title VI, § 623, as added Aug. 13, 1946, ch. 958, § 2,60 Stat. 1041; amended June 19, 1948, ch. 554, 62 Stat. 536; Oct. 25, 1949, ch. 722, § 3(a),63 Stat. 899, related to State plans, their submission, and their requirements, prior to the general amendment of this subchapter by Pub. L. 88–443. See section 291d of this title.
Provisions similar to those comprising subsec. (a) of this section were contained in former section 291h (b), acts July 1, 1944, ch. 373, title VI, § 625, as added Aug. 13, 1946, ch. 958, § 2,60 Stat. 1041; amended Oct. 25, 1949, ch. 722, § 3(b),63 Stat. 899, prior to the general amendment of this subchapter by Pub. L. 88–443.
1970—Subsec. (c)(1). Pub. L. 91–296, § 112(1), substituted “4 per centum” for “2 per centum” and “$100,000 for $50,000”.
Subsec. (c)(2). Pub. L. 91–296, § 112(2), substituted “June 30, 1970” for “June 30, 1964”.
Effective Date of 1970 Amendment
Pub. L. 91–296, title I, § 112,June 30, 1970, 84 Stat. 340, provided that the amendment made by that section is effective with respect to expenditures under a State plan approved under this subchapter which are made for administration of such plan during any fiscal year beginning after June 30, 1970.
Transfer of Functions
Office of Surgeon General abolished by section 3 of Reorg. Plan No. 3 of 1966, eff. June 25, 1966, 31 F.R. 8855, 80 Stat. 1610, and functions thereof transferred to Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare by section 1 of Reorg. Plan No. 3 of 1966, set out as a note under section 202 of this title. Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare redesignated Secretary of Health and Human Services by section 509(b) ofPub. L. 96–88which is classified to section 3508 (b) of Title 20, Education. Office of Surgeon General reestablished within the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health, see Notice of Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health, Mar. 30, 1987, 52 F.R. 11754.