42 U.S. Code § 297n–1 - Nurse faculty loan program
(a) School of nursing student loan fund
The Secretary, acting through the Administrator of the Health Resources and Services Administration, may enter into an agreement with any accredited school of nursing for the establishment and operation of a student loan fund in accordance with this section, to increase the number of qualified nursing faculty.
Each agreement entered into under subsection (a) of this section shall—
(2) provide for deposit in the fund of—
(B) an amount equal to not less than one-ninth of such Federal capital contributions, contributed by such school;
(3) provide that the fund will be used only for loans to students of the school in accordance with subsection (c) of this section and for costs of collection of such loans and interest thereon;
(4) provide that loans may be made from such fund only to students pursuing a full-time course of study or, at the discretion of the Secretary, a part-time course of study in an advanced degree program described in section 296j (b) of this title; and
(c) Loan provisions
Loans from any student loan fund established by a school pursuant to an agreement under subsection (a) of this section shall be made to an individual on such terms and conditions as the school may determine, except that—
(1) such terms and conditions are subject to any conditions, limitations, and requirements prescribed by the Secretary;
(2) in the case of any individual, the total of the loans for any academic year made by schools of nursing from loan funds established pursuant to agreements under subsection (a) of this section may not exceed $35,500,  during fiscal years 2010 and 2011 fiscal years  (after fiscal year 2011, such amounts shall be adjusted to provide for a cost-of-attendance increase for the yearly loan rate and the aggregate loan; 
(3) an amount up to 85 percent of any such loan (plus interest thereon) shall be canceled by the school as follows:
(A) upon completion by the individual of each of the first, second, and third year of full-time employment, required by the loan agreement entered into under this subsection, as a faculty member in an accredited a  school of nursing, the school shall cancel 20 percent of the principle  of, and the interest on, the amount of such loan unpaid on the first day of such employment; and
(B) upon completion by the individual of the fourth year of full-time employment, required by the loan agreement entered into under this subsection, as a faculty member in a school of nursing, the school shall cancel 25 percent of the principle  of, and the interest on, the amount of such loan unpaid on the first day of such employment;
(4) such a loan may be used to pay the cost of tuition, fees, books, laboratory expenses, and other reasonable education expenses;
(5) such a loan shall be repayable in equal or graduated periodic installments (with the right of the borrower to accelerate repayment) over the 10-year period that begins 9 months after the individual ceases to pursue a course of study at a school of nursing; and
(6) such a loan shall—
(A) beginning on the date that is 3 months after the individual ceases to pursue a course of study at a school of nursing, bear interest on the unpaid balance of the loan at the rate of 3 percent per annum; or
(B) subject to subsection (e) of this section, if the school of nursing determines that the individual will not complete such course of study or serve as a faculty member as required under the loan agreement under this subsection, bear interest on the unpaid balance of the loan at the prevailing market rate.
(d) Payment of proportionate share
Where all or any part of a loan, or interest, is canceled under this section, the Secretary shall pay to the school an amount equal to the school’s proportionate share of the canceled portion, as determined by the Secretary.
(e) Review by Secretary
At the request of the individual involved, the Secretary may review any determination by an accredited school of nursing under subsection (c)(6)(B) of this section.
(f) Authorization of appropriations
There are authorized to be appropriated to carry out this section such sums as may be necessary for each of fiscal years 2010 through 2014.
 So in original. The comma probably should not appear.
 So in original.
 So in original. A closing parenthesis probably should appear before the semicolon.
 So in original. The word “a” probably should not appear.
 So in original. Probably should be “principal”.
Source(July 1, 1944, ch. 373, title VIII, § 846A, as added Pub. L. 107–205, title II, § 203,Aug. 1, 2002, 116 Stat. 817; amended Pub. L. 111–148, title V, § 5311(a),Mar. 23, 2010, 124 Stat. 631.)
2010—Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 111–148, § 5311(a)(1), substituted “School of nursing student loan fund” for “Establishment” in heading and inserted “accredited” before “school” in text.
Subsec. (c)(2). Pub. L. 111–148, § 5311(a)(2)(A), substituted “$35,500, during fiscal years 2010 and 2011 fiscal years (after fiscal year 2011, such amounts shall be adjusted to provide for a cost-of-attendance increase for the yearly loan rate and the aggregate loan;” for “$30,000, plus any amount determined by the Secretary on an annual basis to reflect inflation;”.
Subsec. (c)(3)(A). Pub. L. 111–148, § 5311(a)(2)(B), inserted “an accredited” before “a school of nursing”.
Subsec. (e). Pub. L. 111–148, § 5311(a)(3), substituted “an accredited school” for “a school”.
Subsec. (f). Pub. L. 111–148, § 5311(a)(4), substituted “2010 through 2014” for “2003 through 2007”.