42 U.S. Code § 300cc–14 - Evaluation of certain treatments
(a) Establishment of program
(1) After consultation with the AIDS Research Advisory Committee established pursuant to section 300cc–3 of this title, the Secretary shall establish a program for the evaluation of drugs that—
(A) are not approved by the Commissioner of Food and Drugs for the purpose of treatments with respect to acquired immune deficiency syndrome; and
(b) Authority with respect to grants and contracts
(1) For the purpose of conducting evaluations required in subsection (a) of this section, the Secretary may make grants to, and enter into cooperative agreements and contracts with, public and nonprofit private entities.
(2) Nonprofit private entities under paragraph (1) may include nonprofit private organizations that—
(A) are established for the purpose of evaluating treatments with respect to acquired immune deficiency syndrome; and
(c) Scientific and ethical guidelines
(1) The Secretary shall establish appropriate scientific and ethical guidelines for the conduct of evaluations carried out pursuant to this section. The Secretary may not provide financial assistance under subsection (b)(1) of this section unless the applicant for such assistance agrees to comply with such guidelines.
(2) The Secretary may establish the guidelines described in paragraph (1) only after consulting with—
(A) physicians whose clinical practice includes a significant number of individuals with acquired immune deficiency syndrome;
Source(July 1, 1944, ch. 373, title XXIII, § 2314, as added Pub. L. 100–607, title II, § 201(4),Nov. 4, 1988, 102 Stat. 3069; amended Pub. L. 103–43, title XX, § 2008(d)(3),June 10, 1993, 107 Stat. 212.)
A prior section 300cc–14, act July 1, 1944, § 2315, was successively renumbered by subsequent acts and transferred, see section 238l of this title.
1993—Subsec. (a)(1). Pub. L. 103–43substituted “AIDS Research Advisory Committee” for “Clinical Research Review Committee” in introductory provisions.