42 U.S. Code § 300gg–13 - Coverage of preventive health services
prev | next
(a) In general
A group health plan and a health insurance issuer offering group or individual health insurance coverage shall, at a minimum provide coverage for and shall not impose any cost sharing requirements for—
(1) evidence-based items or services that have in effect a rating of “A” or “B” in the current recommendations of the United States Preventive Services Task Force;
(2) immunizations that have in effect a recommendation from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention with respect to the individual involved; and 
(3) with respect to infants, children, and adolescents, evidence-informed preventive care and screenings provided for in the comprehensive guidelines supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration. 
(4) with respect to women, such additional preventive care and screenings not described in paragraph (1) as provided for in comprehensive guidelines supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration for purposes of this paragraph. 
(5) for the purposes of this chapter, and for the purposes of any other provision of law, the current recommendations of the United States Preventive Service Task Force regarding breast cancer screening, mammography, and prevention shall be considered the most current other than those issued in or around November 2009.
Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit a plan or issuer from providing coverage for services in addition to those recommended by United States Preventive Services Task Force or to deny coverage for services that are not recommended by such Task Force.
(1) In general
The Secretary shall establish a minimum interval between the date on which a recommendation described in subsection (a)(1) or (a)(2) or a guideline under subsection (a)(3) is issued and the plan year with respect to which the requirement described in subsection (a) is effective with respect to the service described in such recommendation or guideline.
(c) Value-based insurance design
The Secretary may develop guidelines to permit a group health plan and a health insurance issuer offering group or individual health insurance coverage to utilize value-based insurance designs.
 So in original. The word “and” probably should not appear.
 So in original. The period probably should be a semicolon.
Source(July 1, 1944, ch. 373, title XXVII, § 2713, as added Pub. L. 111–148, title I, § 1001(5),Mar. 23, 2010, 124 Stat. 131.)
A prior section 300gg–13, act July 1, 1944, ch. 373, title XXVII, § 2713, as added Pub. L. 104–191, title I, § 102(a),Aug. 21, 1996, 110 Stat. 1966, was renumbered section 2709 of act July 1, 1944, and transferred to section 300gg–9 of this title by Pub. L. 111–148, title I, §§ 1001(3), 1563 (c)(10)(C), formerly § 1562(c)(10)(C), title X, § 10107(b)(1),Mar. 23, 2010, 124 Stat. 130, 268, 911.
Another prior section 2713 of act July 1, 1944, was successively renumbered by subsequent acts and transferred, see section 238l of this title.