42 U.S. Code § 300j–3a - Grants to public sector agencies
prev | next
(a) Assistance for development and demonstration projects
The Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency shall offer grants to public sector agencies for the purposes of—
(1) assisting in the development and demonstration (including construction) of any project which will demonstrate a new or improved method, approach, or technology for providing a dependably safe supply of drinking water to the public; and
(2) assisting in the development and demonstration (including construction) of any project which will investigate and demonstrate health and conservation implications involved in the reclamation, recycling, and reuse of wastewaters for drinking and agricultural use or the processes and methods for the preparation of safe and acceptable drinking water.
Grants made by the Administrator under this section shall be subject to the following limitations:
(1) Grants under this section shall not exceed 662/3 per centum of the total cost of construction of any facility and 75 per centum of any other costs, as determined by the Administrator.
(2) Grants under this section shall not be made for any project involving the construction or modification of any facilities for any public water system in a State unless such project has been approved by the State agency charged with the responsibility for safety of drinking water (or if there is no such agency in a State, by the State health authority).
(3) Grants under this section shall not be made for any project unless the Administrator determines, after consultation, that such project will serve a useful purpose relating to the development and demonstration of new or improved techniques, methods, or technologies for the provision of safe water to the public for drinking.
Source(Pub. L. 95–155, § 5,Nov. 8, 1977, 91 Stat. 1258; Pub. L. 95–477, § 7(a)(1),Oct. 18, 1978, 92 Stat. 1511.)
Section was enacted as part of the Environmental Research, Development, and Demonstration Authorization Act of 1978, and not as part of the Public Health Service Act which comprises this chapter.
1978—Subsec. (a)(2). Pub. L. 95–477inserted “agricultural use or” after “drinking and”.
Effective Date of 1978 Amendment