42 U.S. Code § 3796gg–0b - Duties and functions of Director of Violence Against Women Office
The Director shall have the following duties:
(1) Maintaining liaison with the judicial branches of the Federal and State Governments on matters relating to violence against women.
(2) Providing information to the President, the Congress, the judiciary, State, local, and tribal governments, and the general public on matters relating to violence against women.
(3) Serving, at the request of the Attorney General, as the representative of the Department of Justice on domestic task forces, committees, or commissions addressing policy or issues relating to violence against women.
(4) Serving, at the request of the President, acting through the Attorney General, as the representative of the United States Government on human rights and economic justice matters related to violence against women in international fora, including, but not limited to, the United Nations.
(5) Carrying out the functions of the Department of Justice under the Violence Against Women Act of 1994 (title IV of Public Law 103–322) and the Violence Against Women Act of 2000 (division B of Public Law 106–386), including with respect to those functions—
(B) the development and management of grant programs and other programs, and the provision of technical assistance under such programs; and
(6) Providing technical assistance, coordination, and support to—
(A) other components of the Department of Justice, in efforts to develop policy and to enforce Federal laws relating to violence against women, including the litigation of civil and criminal actions relating to enforcing such laws;
(B) other Federal, State, local, and tribal agencies, in efforts to develop policy, provide technical assistance, and improve coordination among agencies carrying out efforts to eliminate violence against women, including Indian or indigenous women; and
(7) Exercising such other powers and functions as may be vested in the Director pursuant to this subchapter or by delegation of the Attorney General.
Source(Pub. L. 90–351, title I, § 2004, as added Pub. L. 107–273, div. A, title IV, § 402(3),Nov. 2, 2002, 116 Stat. 1790.)
References in Text
The Violence Against Women Act of 1994, referred to in par. (5), is title IV of Pub. L. 103–322, Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 1902, as amended. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 13701 of this title and Tables.
The Violence Against Women Act of 2000, referred to in par. (5), is div. B of Pub. L. 106–386, Oct. 28, 2000, 114 Stat. 1491. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title of 2000 Amendments note set out under section 13701 of this title and Tables.
A prior section 2004 ofPub. L. 90–351was renumbered section 2009 and is classified to section 3796gg–3 of this title.