42 U.S. Code § 5907a - Small grant program
There shall be established within the Department of Energy a program for appropriate technology under the direction of the Secretary. The Secretary shall develop and implement a program of small grants for the purpose of encouraging development and demonstration projects described in subsection (c) of this section.
The aggregate amount of financial support made available to any participant in such program, including affiliates, under this section shall not exceed $50,000 during any two-year period.
(c) Systems and technologies to be developed and demonstrated
Funds made available under this section shall be used to provide for a coordinated and expanded effort for the development and demonstration of, and the dissemination of information with respect to, energy-related systems and supporting technologies appropriate to—
(1) the needs of local communities and the enhancement of community self-reliance through the use of available resources;
(4) applications which are energy-conserving, environmentally sound, small scale, durable and low cost; and
(d) Eligible participants; simplified application procedures; report to Secretary; allocation criteria; guidelines
(1) Grants, agreements or contracts under this section may be made to individuals, local nonprofit organizations and institutions, State and local agencies, Indian tribes and small businesses. The Secretary shall develop simplified procedures with respect to application for support under this section.
(2) Each grant, agreement or contract under this section shall be governed by the provisions of section 9 of the Federal Nonnuclear Energy Research and Development Act of 1974 [42 U.S.C. 5908] and shall contain effective provisions under which the Secretary shall receive a full written report of activities supported in whole or in part by funds made available by the Secretary; and
(3) In determining the allocation of funds among applicants for support under this section the Secretary may take into consideration:
(D) such other criteria as the Secretary finds necessary to achieve the purposes of this Act or the purposes of the Federal Nonnuclear Energy Research and Development Act of 1974 [42 U.S.C. 5901 et seq.].
Guidelines implementing this section shall be promulgated with full opportunity for public comment.
(e) Reports to Congress
The Secretary shall—
(1) prepare and submit no later than October 1, 1977, a detailed report on plans for implementation, including the timing of implementation, of the provisions of this section to the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources of the Senate and the Committee on Science and Technology of the House of Representatives and shall keep such committees fully and currently informed concerning the development of such plans; and
(2) include as a part of the annual report required by section 15(a)(1)  of the Federal Nonnuclear Energy Research and Development Act of 1974 beginning in 1977, a full and complete report on the program under this section.
 See References in Text note below.
Source(Pub. L. 95–39, title I, § 112,June 3, 1977, 91 Stat. 186; Pub. L. 95–91, title III, § 301(a), title VII, §§ 703, 707,Aug. 4, 1977, 91 Stat. 577, 606, 607.)
References in Text
This Act, referred to in subsec. (d)(3)(D), means Pub. L. 95–39, June 3, 1977, 91 Stat. 180, which to the extent classified to the Code enacted sections 5816a, 5817a, 5903c, 5907a, 5915a, 5918, and 7001 to 7011 of this title, amended sections 5813, 5818, and 5912 of this title, and enacted provisions set out as notes under sections 5906, 5907, 5914, and 7001 of this title. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Tables.
The Federal Nonnuclear Energy Research and Development Act of 1974, referred to in subsec. (d)(3)(D), is Pub. L. 93–577, Dec. 31, 1974, 88 Stat. 1878, as amended, which is classified generally to this chapter (§ 5901 et seq.). For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 5901 of this title and Tables.
Section 15 of the Federal Nonnuclear Energy Research and Development Act of 1974, referred to in subsec. (e)(2), was classified to section 5914 of this title and was omitted from the Code.
Section was not enacted as part of the Federal Nonnuclear Energy Research and Development Act of 1974 which comprises this chapter.
Change of Name
Committee on Science and Technology of House of Representatives changed to Committee on Science, Space, and Technology of House of Representatives by House Resolution No. 5, One Hundred Twelfth Congress, Jan. 5, 2011.
Transfer of Functions
“Secretary”, meaning Secretary of Energy, substituted for “Administrator”, “Administration”, and “Assistant Administrator for Conservation and Development”, meaning Energy Research and Development Administration and Administrator thereof, in subsecs. (a), (d), and (e) and “Department of Energy” substituted for “Administration” in subsec. (a) pursuant to sections 301(a), 703, and 707 ofPub. L. 95–91, which are classified to sections 7151 (a), 7293, and 7297 of this title and which terminated Energy Research and Development Administration and transferred its functions and functions of Administrator thereof (with certain exceptions) to Secretary of Energy.