42 U.S. Code § 7259a - Activities of Department of Energy facilities
(a) Research and activities on behalf of non-department persons and entities
(1) The Secretary of Energy may conduct research and other activities referred to in paragraph (2) at facilities of the Department of Energy on behalf of other departments and agencies of the Government, agencies of State and local governments, and private persons and entities.
(2) The research and other activities that may be conducted under paragraph (1) are those which the Secretary is authorized to conduct by law, including research and activities authorized under the following provisions of law:
(1) The Secretary shall impose on the department, agency, or person or entity for which research and other activities are carried out under subsection (a) of this section a charge for such research and activities in carrying out such research and activities, which shall include—
(A) Subject to subparagraph (B), the Secretary shall also impose on the department, agency, or person or entity concerned a Federal administrative charge (which includes any depreciation and imputed interest charges) in an amount not to exceed 3 percent of the full cost incurred in carrying out the research and activities concerned.
(c) Pilot program of reduced facility overhead charges
(1) The Secretary may, with the cooperation of participating contractors of the contractor-operated facilities of the Department, carry out a pilot program under which the Secretary and such contractors reduce the facility overhead charges imposed under this section for research and other activities conducted under this section.
(2) The Secretary shall carry out the pilot program at contractor-operated facilities selected by the Secretary in consultation with the contractors concerned.
(3) The Secretary shall determine the facility overhead charges to be imposed under the pilot program at a facility based on a joint review by the Secretary and the contractor for the facility of all items included in the overhead costs of the facility in order to determine which items are appropriately incurred as facility overhead charges by the contractor in carrying out research and other activities at such facility under this section.
(4) The Secretary shall commence carrying out the pilot program under this subsection not later than October 1, 1999, and shall terminate the pilot program on September 30, 2003.
(5) Not later than January 31, 2003, the Secretary shall submit to Congress an interim report on the results of the pilot program under this subsection. The report shall include any recommendations for the extension or expansion of the pilot program, including the establishment of multiple rates of overhead charges for various categories of persons and entities seeking research and other activities in contractor-operated facilities of the Department.
Source(Pub. L. 105–261, div. C, title XXXI, § 3137,Oct. 17, 1998, 112 Stat. 2248.)
References in Text
The Atomic Energy Act of 1954, referred to in subsec. (a)(2)(A), is act Aug. 1, 1946, ch. 724, as added by act Aug. 30, 1954, ch. 1073, § 1,68 Stat. 921, and amended, which is classified generally to chapter 23 (§ 2011 et seq.) of this title. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 2011 of this title and Tables.
The Energy Reorganization Act of 1974, referred to in subsec. (a)(2)(B), is Pub. L. 93–438, Oct. 11, 1974, 88 Stat. 1233, as amended, which is classified principally to chapter 73 (§ 5801 et seq.) of this title. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 5801 of this title and Tables.
The Federal Nonnuclear Energy Research and Development Act of 1974, referred to in subsec. (a)(2)(C), is Pub. L. 93–577, Dec. 31, 1974, 88 Stat. 1878, as amended, which is classified generally to chapter 74 (§ 5901 et seq.) of this title. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 5901 of this title and Tables.
Section was enacted as part of the Strom Thurmond National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1999, and not as part of the Department of Energy Organization Act which comprises this chapter.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.