42 U.S. Code § 8484 - Electric utility conservation plan
prev | next
An electric utility is subject to this subsection  if—
(1) the utility owns or operates any existing electric powerplant in which natural gas was used as a primary energy source at any time during the 1-year period ending on August 13, 1981, and
(b) Submission and approval of plan
The Secretary shall require each electric utility subject to this section to—
(1) submit, within 1 year after August 13, 1981, and have approved by the Secretary, a conservation plan which meets the requirements of subsection (c) of this section; and
(c) Contents of plan
(1) Any conservation plan under this section shall set forth means determined by the utility to achieve conservation of electric energy not later than the 5th year after its initial approval at a level, measured on an annual basis, at least equal to 10 percent of the electric energy output of that utility during the most recent 4 calendar quarters ending prior to August 13, 1981, which is attributable to natural gas.
(2) The conservation plan shall include—
(A) all activities required for such utility by part 1 of title II of the National Energy Conservation Policy Act [42 U.S.C. 8211 et seq.];
(3) Any such plan may set forth a program for the use of renewable energy sources (other than hydroelectric power).
(d) Plan approval
(1) The Secretary shall, by order, approve or disapprove any conservation plan proposed under this subsection  by an electric utility within 120 days after its submission. The Secretary shall approve any such proposed plan unless the Secretary finds that such plan does not meet the requirements of subsection (c) of this section and states in writing the reasons therefor.
(2) In the event the Secretary disapproves under paragraph (1) the plan originally submitted, the Secretary shall provide a reasonable period of time for resubmission.
 So in original. Probably should be “section”.
Source(Pub. L. 95–620, title VIII, § 808, as added Pub. L. 97–35, title X, § 1023(a),Aug. 13, 1981, 95 Stat. 616.)
References in Text
The National Energy Conservation Policy Act, referred to in subsec. (c)(2)(A), is Pub. L. 95–619, Nov. 9, 1978, 92 Stat. 3208, as amended. Part 1 of title II of the National Energy Conservation Policy Act was classified generally to part A (§ 8211 et seq.) of subchapter II of chapter 91 of this title, and was omitted from the Code pursuant to section 8229 of this title which terminated authority under that part June 30, 1989. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 8201 of this title and Tables.