43 U.S. Code § 1593 - Planning reports; research and demonstration projects
prev | next
(a) The Secretary is authorized and directed to—
(1) Expedite completion of the planning reports on the following units, described in the Secretary’s report, “Colorado River Water Quality Improvement Program, February 1972”;
(i) Irrigation source control:
Colorado River Indian Reservation
Palo Verde Irrigation District
(2) Submit each planning report on the units named in paragraph (1) of this subsection promptly to the Colorado River Basin States and to such other parties as the Secretary deems appropriate for their review and comments. After receipt of comments on a unit and careful consideration thereof, the Secretary shall submit each final report with his recommendations, simultaneously, to the President, other concerned Federal departments and agencies, the Congress, and the Colorado River Basin States.
(b) The Secretary is directed—
(1) in the investigation, planning, construction, and implementation of any salinity control unit involving control of salinity from irrigation sources, to cooperate with the Secretary of Agriculture in carrying out research and demonstration projects and in implementing on-the-farm improvements and farm management practices and programs which will further the objective of this subchapter;
(2) to undertake research on additional methods for accomplishing the objective of this subchapter, utilizing to the fullest extent practicable the capabilities and resources of other Federal departments and agencies, interstate institutions, States, and private organizations;
(3) to develop a comprehensive program for minimizing salt contributions to the Colorado River from lands administered by the Bureau of Land Management and submit a report which describes the program and recommended implementation actions to the Congress and to the members of the advisory council established by section 1594 (a) of this title by July 1, 1987;
(4) to undertake feasibility investigations of saline water use and disposal opportunities, including measures and all necessary appurtenant and associated works, to demonstrate saline water use technology and to beneficially use and dispose of saline and brackish waters of the Colorado River Basin in joint ventures with current and future industrial water users, using, but not limited to, the concepts generally described in the Bureau of Reclamation Special Report of September 1981, entitled “Saline water use and disposal opportunities”; and
Source(Pub. L. 93–320, title II, § 203,June 24, 1974, 88 Stat. 271; Pub. L. 98–569, § 3,Oct. 30, 1984, 98 Stat. 2937.)
1984—Subsec. (b)(3) to (5). Pub. L. 98–569added pars. (3) to (5).
Effective Date of 1984 Amendment