44 U.S. Code § 3317 - Duties of Commission
prev | next
It shall be the duty of the Commission to study problems and questions with respect to the control, disposition, and preservation of records and documents produced by or on behalf of Federal officials, with a view toward the development of appropriate legislative recommendations and other recommendations regarding appropriate rules and procedures with respect to such control, disposition, and preservation. Such study shall include consideration of—
(1) whether the historical practice regarding the records and documents produced by or on behalf of Presidents of the United States should be rejected or accepted and whether such practice should be made applicable with respect to all Federal officials;
(2) the relationship of the findings of the Commission to the provisions of chapter 19 of this title, section 2101 throughsection 2108  of this title, and other Federal laws relating to the control, disposition, and preservation of records and documents of Federal officials;
(3) whether the findings of the Commission should affect the control, disposition, and preservation of records and documents of agencies within the Executive Office of the President created for short-term purposes by the President;
(4) the recordkeeping procedures of the White House Office, with a view toward establishing means to determine which records and documents are produced by or on behalf of the President;
(5) the nature of rules and procedures which should apply to the control, disposition, and preservation of records and documents produced by Presidential task forces, commissions, and boards;
(6) criteria which may be used generally in determining the scope of materials which should be considered to be the records and documents of Members of the Congress;
(7) the privacy interests of individuals whose communications with Federal officials, and with task forces, commissions, and boards, are a part of the records and documents produced by such officials, task forces, commissions, and boards; and
(8) any other problems, questions, or issues which the Commission considers relevant to carrying out its duties under section 3315 throughsection 3324 of this title.
 See References in Text note below.
Source(Added Pub. L. 93–526, title II, § 202,Dec. 19, 1974, 88 Stat. 1699.)
References in Text
Sections 2103 through 2108 of this title, referred to in par. (2), were renumbered as sections 2107 through 2112 of this title by Pub. L. 98–497, title I, § 102(a)(1),Oct. 19, 1984, 98 Stat. 2280.
Termination of Commission
For provision that Commission is to cease to exist sixty days after transmitting its report, see section 3323 of this title.