49 U.S. Code § 24403 - Project management oversight
(a) Project Management Plan Requirements.— To receive Federal financial assistance for a major capital project under this chapter, an applicant must prepare and carry out a project management plan approved by the Secretary of Transportation. The plan shall provide for—
(1) adequate recipient staff organization with well-defined reporting relationships, statements of functional responsibilities, job descriptions, and job qualifications;
(2) a budget covering the project management organization, appropriate consultants, property acquisition, utility relocation, systems demonstration staff, audits, and miscellaneous payments the recipient may be prepared to justify;
(5) a change order procedure that includes a documented, systematic approach to handling the construction change orders;
(6) organizational structures, management skills, and staffing levels required throughout the construction phase;
(7) quality control and quality assurance functions, procedures, and responsibilities for construction, system installation, and integration of system components;
(11) periodic updates of the plan, especially related to project budget and project schedule, financing, and ridership estimates; and
(b) Secretarial Oversight.—
(1) The Secretary may use no more than 1 percent of amounts made available in a fiscal year for capital projects under this chapter to enter into contracts to oversee the construction of such projects.
(2) The Secretary may use amounts available under paragraph (1) of this subsection to make contracts for safety, procurement, management, and financial compliance reviews and audits of a recipient of amounts under paragraph (1).