49 U.S. Code § 44730 - Helicopter air ambulance operations
(a) Compliance Regulations.—
(1) In general.— Except as provided in paragraph (2), not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this section, a part 135 certificate holder providing air ambulance services shall comply, whenever medical personnel are onboard the aircraft, with regulations pertaining to weather minimums and flight and duty time under part 135.
(b) Final Rule.— Not later than June 1, 2012, the Administrator shall issue a final rule, with respect to the notice of proposed rulemaking published in the Federal Register on October 12, 2010 (75 Fed. Reg. 62640), to improve the safety of flight crewmembers, medical personnel, and passengers onboard helicopters providing air ambulance services under part 135.
(c) Matters To Be Addressed.— In conducting the rulemaking proceeding under subsection (b), the Administrator shall address the following:
(2) Pilot training standards, including establishment of training standards in—
(3) Safety-enhancing technology and equipment, including—
(d) Minimum Requirements.— In issuing a final rule under subsection (b), the Administrator, at a minimum, shall provide for the following:
(1) Flight risk evaluation program.— The Administrator shall ensure that a part 135 certificate holder providing helicopter air ambulance services—
(A) establishes a flight risk evaluation program, based on FAA Notice 8000.301 issued by the Administration on August 1, 2005, including any updates thereto;
(B) as part of the flight risk evaluation program, develops a checklist for use by pilots in determining whether a flight request should be accepted; and
(e) Subsequent Rulemaking.—
(1) In general.— Upon completion of the rulemaking required under subsection (b), the Administrator shall conduct a follow-on rulemaking to address the following:
(A) Pilot training standards, including—
(i) mandatory training requirements, including a minimum time for completing the training requirements;
(2) Deadlines.— Not later than 180 days after the date of issuance of a final rule under subsection (b), the Administrator shall initiate the rulemaking under this subsection.
(f) Definitions.— In this section, the following definitions apply:
(1) Part 135.— The term “part 135” means part 135 of title 14, Code of Federal Regulations.
(2) Part 135 certificate holder.— The term “part 135 certificate holder” means a person holding an operating certificate issued under part 119 of title 14, Code of Federal Regulations, that is authorized to conduct civil helicopter air ambulance operations under part 135.