5 U.S. Code § 3330d - Appointment of certain military spouses
prev | next
(a) Definitions.— In this section:
(1) The term “active duty”—
(2) The term “agency”—
(A) has the meaning given the term “Executive agency” in section 105 of this title; and
(3) The term “geographic area of the permanent duty station” means the area from which individuals reasonably can be expected to travel daily to and from work at the location of a member’s permanent duty station.
(4) The term “permanent change of station” means the assignment, detail, or transfer of a member of the Armed Forces who is on active duty and serving at a permanent duty station under a competent authorization or order that does not—
(B) provide for assignment, detail, or transfer, after that different permanent duty station, to a further different permanent duty station; or
(5) The term “relocating spouse of a member of the Armed Forces” means an individual who—
(A) is married to a member of the Armed Forces (on or prior to a permanent change of station of the member) who is ordered to active duty for a period of more than 180 consecutive days;
(6) The term “spouse of a disabled or deceased member of the Armed Forces” means an individual—
(A) who is married to a member of the Armed Forces who—
(b) Appointment Authority.— The head of an agency may appoint noncompetitively—
(c) Special Rules Regarding Relocating Spouse.—
(1) In general.— An appointment of a relocating spouse of a member of the Armed Forces under this section may only be to a position the duty station for which is within the geographic area of the permanent duty station of the member of the Armed Forces, unless there is no agency with a position with a duty station within the geographic area of the permanent duty station of the member of the Armed Forces.
(d) Special Rules Regarding Spouse of a Disabled or Deceased Member of the Armed Forces.—
(1) In general.— An appointment of an eligible spouse as described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of subsection (a)(6) is not restricted to a geographical area.
Source(Added Pub. L. 112–239, div. A, title V, § 566(a),Jan. 2, 2013, 126 Stat. 1749.)
Pub. L. 112–239, div. A, title V, § 566(b),Jan. 2, 2013, 126 Stat. 1751, provided that: “Not later than 180 after the date of the enactment of this Act [Jan. 2, 2013], the Director of the Office of Personnel Management shall amend section 315.612 of title 5, Code of Federal Regulations (relating to noncompetitive appointment of certain military spouses), in accordance with the amendment made by subsection (a) [enacting this section] and promulgate or amend any other regulations necessary to carry out the amendment made by subsection (a).”