5 U.S. Code § 8981 - Definitions
prev | next
In this chapter:
(1) The term “employee” means an employee defined under section 8901 (1) and an employee of the District of Columbia courts.
(2) The terms “annuitant”, “member of family”, and “dependent” have the meanings as such terms are defined under paragraphs (3), (5), and (9), respectively, of section 8901.
(3) The term “eligible individual” refers to an individual described in paragraph (1) or (2), without regard to whether the individual is enrolled in a health benefits plan under chapter 89.
(5) The term “qualified company” means a company (or consortium of companies or an employee organization defined under section 8901 (8)) that offers indemnity, preferred provider organization, health maintenance organization, or discount vision programs and if required is licensed to issue applicable coverage in any number of States, taking any subsidiaries of such a company into account (and, in the case of a consortium, considering the member companies and any subsidiaries thereof, collectively).
(6) The term “employee organization” means an association or other organization of employees which is national in scope, or in which membership is open to all employees of a Government agency who are eligible to enroll in a health benefits plan under chapter 89.
Source(Added Pub. L. 108–496, § 3,Dec. 23, 2004, 118 Stat. 4006; amended Pub. L. 109–356, title I, § 117(a)(2),Oct. 16, 2006, 120 Stat. 2027.)
2006—Par. (1). Pub. L. 109–356, which directed insertion of “and an employee of the District of Columbia courts” at end of par. (1), was executed by making the insertion before the period, to reflect the probable intent of Congress.