6 U.S. Code § 772 - National Disaster Housing Strategy
(a) In general
The Administrator, in coordination with representatives of the Federal agencies, governments, and organizations listed in subsection (b)(2) of this section, the National Advisory Council, the National Council on Disability, and other entities at the Administrator’s discretion, shall develop, coordinate, and maintain a National Disaster Housing Strategy.
The National Disaster Housing Strategy shall—
(1) outline the most efficient and cost effective Federal programs that will best meet the short-term and long-term housing needs of individuals and households affected by a major disaster;
(2) clearly define the role, programs, authorities, and responsibilities of each entity in providing housing assistance in the event of a major disaster, including—
(3) describe in detail the programs that may be offered by the entities described in paragraph (2), including—
(4) consider methods through which housing assistance can be provided to individuals and households where employment and other resources for living are available;
(5) describe programs directed to meet the needs of special needs and low-income populations and ensure that a sufficient number of housing units are provided for individuals with disabilities;
(6) describe plans for the operation of clusters of housing provided to individuals and households, including access to public services, site management, security, and site density;
(7) describe plans for promoting the repair or rehabilitation of existing rental housing, including through lease agreements or other means, in order to improve the provision of housing to individuals and households under section 408 of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 5174); and
The Administrator should develop and make publicly available guidance on—
(1) types of housing assistance available under the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 5121 et seq.) to individuals and households affected by an emergency or major disaster;
(2) eligibility for such assistance (including, where appropriate, the continuation of such assistance); and
(1) In general
Not later than 270 days after October 4, 2006, the Administrator shall submit to the appropriate committees of Congress a report describing in detail the National Disaster Housing Strategy, including programs directed to meeting the needs of special needs populations.
(2) Updated report
The Administrator shall submit to the appropriate committees of Congress a report updating the report submitted under paragraph (1)—
Source(Pub. L. 109–295, title VI, § 683,Oct. 4, 2006, 120 Stat. 1446.)
References in Text
The Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, referred to in subsec. (c)(1), is Pub. L. 93–288, May 22, 1974, 88 Stat. 143, as amended, which is classified principally to chapter 68 (§ 5121 et seq.) of Title 42, The Public Health and Welfare. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 5121 of Title 42 and Tables.