In collecting information for systems of records, the following requirements shall be met:
(a) Information shall be collected to the greatest extent practicable directly from the subject individual when the information may result in adverse determinations about an individual's rights, benefits, and privileges under Federal programs. Exceptions to this policy may be made under certain circumstances, such as one of the following:
(1) There is a need to verify the accuracy of the information supplied by an individual.
(2) The information can only be obtained from a third party.
(3) There is no risk that information collected from third parties, if inaccurate, could result in an adverse determination to the individual concerned.
(4) Provisions are made to verify with the individual information collected from a third party.
(b) Each individual who is asked to supply information shall be informed of the following:
(1) The authority (whether granted by statute, or by Executive order of the President) for requesting the information;
(2) Whether disclosure is mandatory or voluntary;
(3) The intended official use of the information;
(4) The routine uses which may be made of the information, as published in the system notices;
(5) The effects, if any, on the individual of not providing all or any part of the requested information.
Title 14 published on 2012-01-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 14.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.